• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (25 Viewers)

Won't be there tomorrow but will be there every Thursday again after so if you like will do the feeders on the flashes early (7.30ish) every Thursday after.

Garden list............can claim osprey, red kite, peregrine, common tern, kestrel, hobby, ring necked parakeet, (all flyovers), common buzzard perched on the garden fence and lesser spotted woodpecker breeding.

Last edited:
UW Greenfinches

Greenfinch photos from last Sunday. In between feeding on the West Hide feeder were they eating blackberries, or is this a normal beak colouring at this time of year?
Phil

Attachments

• IMG_0222.JPG
    IMG_0222.JPG
    145.2 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_0217.JPG
    IMG_0217.JPG
    116 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_0216.JPG
    IMG_0216.JPG
    115.9 KB · Views: 104
Today's highlights:

FLASHES:
Ruff-----------------Dunlin (juv)
Curlew (18)--------- Green Sand (6)
Common Sand (2)----Lapwing (107)
Teal (43)------------Gadwall (4)
Kingfisher------------Buzzard (2). One appeared to be eating a Lapwing.
Sedge Warbler

No reports of Willow Tit today.

MOORS:
Shoveler (3)---------Common Tern (2ad+2juvs)
Gadwall(4)-----------Water Rail (2)
Cormorant (5)-------Greylag Goose (22)
Reed Warbler (4)----Yellow Wagatail (briefly on cleared island)
Swift (4)------------G C Grebe (4 +2juvs)
Whitethroat at N Moors.

Des.

How were the mowing / stock fencing works getting on at the Flashes Des?

Phil
I don't think it is going to be continuous work. I think they are back tomorrow to do some mowing on the Flashes.

This from Andy
Roving volunteers will help this Thursday to cut the line for the new fence line through some of the blackthorn, reeds and nettles.

Today's highlights:

FLASHES:
Ruff-----------------Dunlin (juv)
Curlew (18)--------- Green Sand (6)
Common Sand (2)----Lapwing (107)
Teal (43)------------Gadwall (4)
Kingfisher------------Buzzard (2). One appeared to be eating a Lapwing.
Sedge Warbler

No reports of Willow Tit today.

MOORS:
Shoveler (3)---------Common Tern (2ad+2juvs)
Gadwall(4)-----------Water Rail (2)
Cormorant (5)-------Greylag Goose (22)
Reed Warbler (4)----Yellow Wagatail (briefly on cleared island)
Swift (4)------------G C Grebe (4 +2juvs)
Whitethroat at N Moors.

Des.

on the flashes there were 4 common sands and a single common snipe :t:

This is what was done on the Flashes yesterday.

Attachments

• 1.hide channeDSCF8151 (2).JPG
    1.hide channeDSCF8151 (2).JPG
    237.3 KB · Views: 135
  • 2.spitDSCF8141 (2).JPG
    2.spitDSCF8141 (2).JPG
    230.5 KB · Views: 125
  • 3.delta afta wrkDSCF8142 (2).JPG
    3.delta afta wrkDSCF8142 (2).JPG
    280.4 KB · Views: 137
Ahh - I thought they were mowing the sewage meadow. Presumably the cuttings are being collected ....

There will be more cutting over the next couple of weeks, Andy H at the Trust will be informing Rob and Myself as to when the work will be taking place.
The cattle will be grazing the meadow.;)

Ahh - I thought they were mowing the sewage meadow. Presumably the cuttings are being collected ....

Phil

This is an excerpt from AH's latest update.

"... mid week team... made a start today mowing areas to improve visibility for visitors at the Flashes, mowing areas that obscure views as well as parts of the pool edges. He will also be mowing parts of the pathways, and the grassland by the Cuckoo hide and between the Avocet and Cuckoo hide. This team will visit Upton Warren over the coming weeks. Some of the cut material that has been mowed would benefit from raking. A combination of volunteer effort can rake this up, however this should not be as great as last year as most will be left uncut for the cattle to graze..."

So as I see it, we're hoping the cattle will eat the cuttings, but if not...

Sy

One of the stalwarts of UW will be on site tomorrow.
The original sponsor of Hen's Pool.
If anyone wants to renew acquaintance or meet Chris Roe, he'll be on site from about 0830.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back