• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lucky BF cap? (1 Viewer)

pauliev69

Proud Smoggie
Received my BF cap in the post on Friday and today was my first chance to test it in the field, well guess what, it rained most of today so at least I knew it would keep my head dry! Went to my local patch Dormans Pool at Port Clarence to which I have a key to the hide. There had been reports of Spotted Reshank the day before so I was hopeful even though it was murky and raining heavily, lucky I had my new cap! On turning up at the hide I was greeted by Coot and Mallard on the pond and nothing much else, about an hour passed and things began to change. About 50+ Sand Martins flew in and rested on the wires in front of the hide, Swifts were flying around in large numbers and giving superb views. An adult Water Rail emerged from the reeds in front of the hide showing really well, followed by a Reed Warbler climbing up and down the reeds. A pair of Reed Buntings sat on the fence in front of the hide and the Sand Martins seemed to move closer to give better views, I was begining to think my BF cap was a lucky charm (I hope it is!) Just when I thought things could not get better I got a lifer a Little Gull flew over the pond and stayed for about 30 mins (I hope my ID was right I have hopefully attached a picture if I am wrong please correct me) On the way back to the car park Swifts and Martins flew overhead and Whitethroats, Sedge Warblers and Reed Buntings seemed to line the path for a turn at a photograph! Quite an amazing afternoon, so if you want to change your luck, maybe think about investing in a BF cap!
Happy birding

Attachments

• LITTLEGULLBF.jpg
    LITTLEGULLBF.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 138
  • Water RailBF.jpg
    Water RailBF.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 140
  • WATERRAIL2BF.jpg
    WATERRAIL2BF.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 150
pauliev69 said:
Received my BF cap in the post on Friday and today was my first chance to test it in the field, well guess what, it rained most of today so at least I knew it would keep my head dry! Went to my local patch Dormans Pool at Port Clarence to which I have a key to the hide. There had been reports of Spotted Reshank the day before so I was hopeful even though it was murky and raining heavily, lucky I had my new cap! On turning up at the hide I was greeted by Coot and Mallard on the pond and nothing much else, about an hour passed and things began to change. About 50+ Sand Martins flew in and rested on the wires in front of the hide, Swifts were flying around in large numbers and giving superb views. An adult Water Rail emerged from the reeds in front of the hide showing really well, followed by a Reed Warbler climbing up and down the reeds. A pair of Reed Buntings sat on the fence in front of the hide and the Sand Martins seemed to move closer to give better views, I was begining to think my BF cap was a lucky charm (I hope it is!) Just when I thought things could not get better I got a lifer a Little Gull flew over the pond and stayed for about 30 mins (I hope my ID was right I have hopefully attached a picture if I am wrong please correct me) On the way back to the car park Swifts and Martins flew overhead and Whitethroats, Sedge Warblers and Reed Buntings seemed to line the path for a turn at a photograph! Quite an amazing afternoon, so if you want to change your luck, maybe think about investing in a BF cap!
Happy birding

Just got mine today. Can't wait to try it out this tuesday....Let you know if I have any luck.

Mike

Congratulations Paul,

It sounds like you had a repeat of the day that I had on Thursday afternoon - but no Little Gull and no decent photos.

The Spotted Redshank was still at the road end yesterday seen best from 50 yds along the track.

See you around.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back