• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Infinite numbers of raptors unacceptable says "conservationist" (1 Viewer)

Easy.

Because they aren't allowed to kill birds of prey any more (snort), the numbers of BOP start to increase until they reach a tipping point. At this point there are so many BOPs that they become super efficient at catching every other living thing in the world and their numbers start to increase towards, well, infinity. After a while, there are so many millions of them that they start preying on each other (it's already happening), providing an extra, infinitely large food source, and at that point we do get an infinite number of birds of prey, and nothing else. This reaches a steady state, extending for an infinite time period and can be considered the ultimate peak of succession ecology.

What don't you understand about that?
makes you wonder how all the other bird species survived/evolved before mankind arrived to kill all the super efficient birds of prey
i'm assuming the above was tongue in cheek and you don't know how the smilies work
cheers

makes you wonder how all the other bird species survived/evolved before mankind arrived to kill all the super efficient birds of prey
i'm assuming the above was tongue in cheek and you don't know how the smilies work
cheers

Yes i assumed the same and think a smiley, winky face would help as i'm sure there are thoes that might take you seriously. P.;)

There is the case here in North America were E.Starlings,H.Sparrows and
Rock Doves populations exploded but you cannot blame these species for
any decline in native populations.They go where the humans are!And who
introduced them!B :)

For anyone that doesn't know how to attach smilies - click the 'Go Advanced' tab and you'll find all the smilies you want...!! (But you can only use 10 per message I jus found out as I tried attaching them all!!!:frog::flyaway::storm::egghead::kiss::hi::gn::gn::brains::loveme:)

Easy.

Because they aren't allowed to kill birds of prey any more (snort), the numbers of BOP start to increase until they reach a tipping point. At this point there are so many BOPs that they become super efficient at catching every other living thing in the world and their numbers start to increase towards, well, infinity. After a while, there are so many millions of them that they start preying on each other (it's already happening), providing an extra, infinitely large food source, and at that point we do get an infinite number of birds of prey, and nothing else. This reaches a steady state, extending for an infinite time period and can be considered the ultimate peak of succession ecology.

What don't you understand about that?

Well I'm comfortable with that. In a universe consisting solely of densely packed birds of prey none of us would be around to worry about it....:t:

Well I'm comfortable with that. In a universe consisting solely of densely packed birds of prey none of us would be around to worry about it....:t:

Doing another one of those quick calculations, I figured that we'd need about 1.5 × 10**55 raptors to pack the cosmos to the event horizon (15 followed by 54 naughts).

I've assumed wings folded, but not very tightly packed - so the number could be a bit higher.

Also, it would make a difference whether we're talking Sharpies or Harpies....(o)<

Peter C.

Doing another one of those quick calculations, I figured that we'd need about 1.5 × 10**55 raptors to pack the cosmos to the event horizon (15 followed by 54 naughts).

I've assumed wings folded, but not very tightly packed - so the number could be a bit higher.

Also, it would make a difference whether we're talking Sharpies or Harpies....(o)<

Peter C.

Sounds infinitely improbable to me.......... |8)|

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back