• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bat Detectors? (1 Viewer)

Hermann

Germany
Having seen bats on numerous birding trips, I'd like to get a bat detector. The final straw was when I saw two bats hunting around the cliffs on Heligoland last autumn - and nobody had any idea what species they were. I'm not sure which detector to get though, so I'd appreciate some help.

I'm first and foremost into birding, so I don't think I want to get into recording bat calls and analysing them on the computer. At least not yet ... :) I know about the problems of identifying some bats to the species level using a basic detector, but I think I want to start with a basic heterodyne detector.

The big question is which one. I want a sensitive detector that can pick up calls at decent ranges, and one that is robust and reliable because I may carry it in all sorts of conditions in my backpack. From what I heard some detectors don't like getting damp. Of the bat people I talked to around here some recommended the SSF BAT2 or some other basic heterodyne detector - but most of them seem to use the more expensive Pettersson models. In Scandinavia everyone seems to use a Pettersson.

I don't mind paying a bit more for a Pettersson (like the D100 or the D200) if it's really worth it. But is it? Any thoughts?

Hermann

Hermann,

I've not been in here for a while and notice nobody has responded to your question.

You don't need to spend a lot of money to achieve your aims. You can, but you don't need to. Given what you intend to do with your bat detector it would be wise to get a protective pouch for it whichever one you choose.

Magenta Bat4 and Bat5 are worth looking at, as is the Batbox IIID. You can record from all of these but if you do want to go down the road of computer analysis of sounds you'll need a frequency division detector and they are usually more expensive. I use the Batbox Duet myself and find it does what I need it to do.

The Petterson detectors are good kit. I don't think anyone will argue with that, but do you need to spend that amount of money to achieve your aims? I don't think so is my view.

Derek

I use a Magenta 4. Its survived extremely damp conditions intact for the last 4 years and the range is surprisingly good. Also travelled with it (Mexico, Gambia, Turkey, a lot of Europe) and it handles being bashed around well. I use a notebook, field guide on occasion, google and for Europe a CD. I haven't the details on me but can supply them at a later date if interested.

Thanks to all those who replied.

After having tried three different models in the field I finally settled on the basic Pettersson D100. It had - to my ears at least - the best "sound" and a very good range. Sure, it was more expensive than many of the other "simple" heterodyne detectors, but then I reckon it will last for many years.

Thanks again to all those who replied.

Hermann

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back