• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SE Arizona? (1 Viewer)

gpike

I'm living in southern New Mexico (Las Cruces, so it's probably 2.5 hours to the Arizona border, I think) for a short time and I thought it would be great to visit SE Arizona.

My question is: Where should I go? I've tried to do a bit of research but I'm not sure what the best spots are. I hear that Portal is a bit on fire right now. I would only have 2 days at most to visit the area, since my husband has to be at work on mondays.

Anybody have any suggestions where I should try to go?

Madera Canyon is one of my favorite spots, and there is a good range of habitats and birds if you have only a weekend, including usually a few rarities. The Chiricuahuas (sp?) up near portal are good, but if obviously perhaps not too doable if there are major fires in the area.

Agree with Steve. The list would help you see where some interesting birds are. The Huachuca mountains are great this time of year, especially for hummers.

you might consider (if you don't have one or both already) to look at the ABA or Audubon site guides for the area, they are supposed to both be good.

Niels

Thank you all for the responses so far!

Where can I find the site guides? Are they online somewhere?

Oh, unfortunately I can't afford to spend that kind of money for books I'd only be using for 2 months and can't keep since I'm moving to Guam in July. Thanks, though. : )

You certainly wouldn't need all of the books. One should do. My guess is that you'll go back to AZ once you've birded there and seen how great it can be.

Another resource I use is Blake Maybank's repository of trip reports:

http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/maybank/USA/AZ/AZ-Index.htm

I'm a big believer in good planning for trips, so my suggestion is to get as much information as possible. Stuart Healy's website (he is a guide in SE AZ) has a journal that offers great insight about which birds to see where/when:

http://www.aztrogon.com/Journal/Main.htm

Best of luck.

Thank you Steve, I will absolutely check those out! I've actually ordered one of the books and worked out arrangements to send it on to somebody else when I'm done with it.

I may well come back to the area someday if my husband gets a job out here, but we'll be living on guam for at least 2 years and hopefully doing some more overseas travel during/after that time, so it's too early to plan for anything like that. XD

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back