• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RFI Pangot, India (1 Viewer)

Joshua-B

Let's try again - I'm probably overusing this forum a bit for information, but oh well ;) No-one seemed to know anything about Haridwar (see http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=199525), so now I have more questions :D

So, Pangot is one of the premier birding spots of northern India. I was under the impression we weren't going there, but the itinerary has changed a bit so three quick questions;

1: The group will be staying at Mountain Quail Camp in Pangot, but it doesn't have a particularly good website and I can't find any mention of it "birdwise" in reports, etc, due to the fact everyone stays at Jungle Lore. Has anyone stayed at MQCamp who can give me some tips, things to look for, etc?

2: Cheer Pheasents - Where should I look around Pangot for them, and are they on the Cheena Peak Track?

3: General Pangot - Does anyone have an opinion of specific spots to look that were really good for various reasons? (Keeping in mind that due to school rules I always have to be in a group of 4 and I can't get 3 other non-birders to just trek off into the bush to look for birds... :storm: )

Thanks in advance :t:
Josh

I've only day-tripped Pangot from Naini Tal, so I can't comment specifically on any of the lodges there. However, the avifauna is likely to be very similar so trip reports from birders based at Jungle Lore should give you an idea of what to expect. Additionally, your lodge is likely to have a bird guide who should know where to find most species.

In any event, you will see a good selection of birds if you just spend time in each of the various habitat types in the area, i.e. forest, scrub and terraced fields.

The stake-out for Cheer Pheasant is about 12km from Pangot (in the opposite direction from Naini Tal) at a place called Vinayak / Binayak. The people at your lodge will know it, but it's easy enough to find as it's an extensive area of steep grassy ridges either side of the road, just beyond the forest edge.

To have a decent chance of seeing Cheer Pheasant here, you really need a scope. It took me two visits and several hours of scanning before I found a group of 4 birds: they are generally extremely inconspicuous. Scan from the road, anywhere from the road's high point back down to the forest edge.

This grassy area is very good for Altai Accentor, and I also had Koklass Pheasant at the forest edge below the road. You should also get spectacular views of Himalayan Griffon and Lammergeier here.

The road between Pangot and Vinayak goes through excellent forest along an almost traffic-free road, and would be a very good hike with non-birding companions.

Excellent, we're actually doing that hike, all the way from Pangot to Ramnagar, so I might be able to get Cheer Pheasant along the way :-O Thanks for that!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back