• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Red Grouse in devon (1 Viewer)

swheldon

I have just been for a walk up at Mamhead and as I was driving back I saw about five Red Grouse infront of me. As I slowed the car down to get a closer look the five of them flew away. Does anyone out ther know if this is a comon site in Devon or have I been fortunate to see this?

Hi swheldon,

On behalf of Admin and the Moderators welcome to Bird Forum :t:

I don't know how common they are down your way but we have plenty to spare up here ;) I'm sure someone will be along soon who can further advise.

See you around.

Hello swheldon, and welcome to the forum. I hope you'll soon be gettting some answers to your question - it will be getting dark soon, so people will be returning home from their day's birding, and may log on here. Of course you may just have to wait until they are back at work tomorrow!!! ;) :eek!: :'D

Hi Swheldon

There used to be a small population of Red grouse on Dartmoor,however I haven`t been down that way for a number of years so don`t know how many survive.

Regards Steve.

Hello swheeldon,
Mamhead ( near Dawlish i think ) is not a known spot for Red Grouse in Devon so yes, i guess you were lucky. Red Grouse in Devon were introduced to Dartmoor and Exmoor in the early 20th Century. According to the latest ( 2002 ) Devon Bird Report there were 39 records from 21 Dartmoor sites, the best showing since 1999 but no records from Exmoor for the 3rd year running.
Two fascinating records of Red Grouse in South Devon concern a bird seen at Bolt Head in September 1969 and September 1970 also seen about a mile across the water at Prawle Point in June 1969. Also nearby one near Soar Mill Cove / Bolt Head in August-September 1987.
The southern edge of Dartmoor is clearly visible from these coastal sites on a normal day about 25 kms. away.

Perry

swheldon said:
I have just been for a walk up at Mamhead and as I was driving back I saw about five Red Grouse infront of me. As I slowed the car down to get a closer look the five of them flew away. Does anyone out ther know if this is a comon site in Devon or have I been fortunate to see this?

Don't think I am trying to be funny but I just wonder how well you saw these birds as it would be a very unusual place to find Red Grouse. There are a lot of Red-legged Partridge in this area though. Roger

Yes, I must agree with Roger that Red-legged Partridge is much more likely there. Often seen them walking on the roads in the Mamhead-Starcross area. Red Grouse are moorland birds and even on Dartmoor are thin on the ground. The records away from there are, as Perry implies, extraordinary.

I went through Kenton last week on the bus which is close to Mamhead and saw a covey of seven Red-leggeds feeding in a ploughed field. I assume that a few have just been released for shooting.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back