• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dorset birding (1 Viewer)

Goldies

300 golden plover at Tarrant Rushden airfield today, but no migrants.

Attachments

• gold3.jpg
    gold3.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 57
Longham lake today

Very still at the lake this morning, with several chiffchaffs singing.
Also 8 pairs of gc grebes on the big lake and 2 adult med gulls in with the black heads. At least six wigeon still on site.
Found a wren building a nest too.
Chris

Brilliantly quirky record at Longham Lakes this morning: 2 Hawfinch flew over Longham Reservoir South.

Also 3 Goosander and 9 Wigeon.

Missed you again Dominic.

Sadly no sign of your Goosander when I was there (or the Hawfinch :C). I was down from 0700 to 0900 and had a pair of Shelduck, 12 Wigeon, 3 Common Gull, 1 adult LBB Gull flew through heading North. The Black Swan was with the Mutes on Hampreston fields.

Only waders were 3 Lapwing.

Early on 4 Sand Martin flew through heading North, 3 Chiffchaff singing. 2 pairs of Reed Bunting and an additional male.

Pair of Robins carrying food were seen close to each other, one went into the base of a hedge and came out with a faecal sack.

Skylark singing over the fields north of Hampreston fields was an excellent way to end the day.

Ray

My first swallow of the year near the World's End pub.

and, Dominic, if I could just say... hawfinch!?!? About as likely as a wintering hoopoe.

Chris

A couple of Wheaters above West Bay on Monday morning and then a couple of Swallows near Yeovil (but it was still in Dorset!) yesterday morning.

I keep missing the Red Kite that is around the Abbotsbury area these days.

Dashed to Durlston to see Dorset's second red-flanked bluetail. I saw the first all those years ago.
This little fella gave a good show about every 30 minutes.
Chris

Attachments

• P1050726big.jpg
    P1050726big.jpg
    298.2 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Stunning Blue-headed Wagtail at Longham Lakes today (lunchtime) along the causeway between the two reservoirs. Also 3 White Wagtails.

Plenty of migrants, including 1 Wheatear (by puddle in Hampreston Fields), Sedge Warbler, Common Whitethroat, plus Willow Warblers, Blackcaps and Chiffs.

Loads of Hirundines included at least 80 Sand Martins and small numbers of Swallows. I had House Martin yesterday. Looked hard for Red-rumped but no luck.

Not many waterbirds, surprisingly, but something good should come along soon.

Great views of an otter at Longham this morning, ran across the path and into the water then spent 20 minutes swimming before disappearing. Also wheatear and whitethroat and first little ringed plovers of the spring.
Walking round the lake doesn't get much better.
Chris

Got out early (6am-7am) on same day as you, Chris (Scary) and saw absolutely nothing. No Lrps, no Otter. There's no justice!

Where exactly was the Otter?

Nearly at corner of big lake, coming out of the woods. Ran across path then swam to small island, ran round and back, swam to other side, not quite to where small roadway goes away from lake, then back to end where the scrape is, looked as if it was going to get out, but carried on swimming and just disappeared. In thought it must have got out and hidden in the reeds but couldn't find it. Got some record shots but never the killer, even though it was only five yards away at the closest. Great day for me.
Chris

Went again today and couldn't even find a wheatears. Did see a med gull on Bournemouth beach.

Longham migrants

Found a pair of garganey and a little gull this morning before work. Very pleasing! Didn't see little gull all last year and everyone else seemed to think last years tame garganey was a bit duff so nice to get some decent ones this time.
Chris

Longham lake today

New in today were 2 white wagtails on the causeway, with yesterday's garganey and little still present, plus a med gull, reed, sedge, blackcap and whitethroat, plus a dead swan .
Chris

Attachments

• DSC_7587.jpg
    DSC_7587.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 57
  • DSC_7643.jpg
    DSC_7643.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 58
  • DSC_7652.jpg
    DSC_7652.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 44
Stunning male Ortolan Bunting was present at Longham Lakes this morning. A photo will no doubt be on the Dorset Bird Club website.

With 1 Little Gull, 2 Garganey and 2 Little Ringed Plover, it's pretty good there at present.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back