• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dorset birding (1 Viewer)

Hi Steve, I've been following your Swannery blog this year. Found it to be very interesting and helpful for when I visit in the season. Look forward to seing it here.

Today At Abbotsbury Swannery

A pretty good day today... had a 'Ringtail' Hen Harrier over the meadows as I arrived this morning (which was also over the reedbeds later) and then 2 Barnacle Geese joined the Canada flock. These may or may not be the first 2 of the now annual presumed wild wintering flock that commute between The Swannery and Rodden Hive. Time will tell. Also the 2 Long-tailed Ducks were still present along with eight Scaup and a Black-necked Grebe was reported although I didn't see it. 2 settled Lesser Redpolls were the best of the passerines.

As for the blog Wendy... I may be persevering with blogger for the time being after all (stevesswannerysightings.blogspot.co.uk) but glad you enjoy it.

Steve.

Another miss as Lorne found white rumped sandpiper at Longham. News not put out until after dark.
Flip

Chris

Another miss as Lorne found white rumped sandpiper at Longham. News not put out until after dark.
Flip

Chris

Glad to see you caught up with this bird y'day Chris - were you there for today's Glossy Ibis? I was pleased to see the WRS y'day afternoon, a new Dorset bird for me and another excuse to visit the Lakes. If it wasn't for Wick being on my doorstep, I'd be tempted to make this my "patch", only took 20 mins to get there; really must visit more often.

Glad to see you caught up with this bird y'day Chris - were you there for today's Glossy Ibis? I was pleased to see the WRS y'day afternoon, a new Dorset bird for me and another excuse to visit the Lakes. If it wasn't for Wick being on my doorstep, I'd be tempted to make this my "patch", only took 20 mins to get there; really must visit more often.

Obviously I missed the ibis - just a fly through and later seen at Ringwood I guess.
One for another day.
Chris

Longham Lakes

White Rumped Sandpiper still on large Island until it flew off at 11:30.

Water Rail ran across the causeway to the smaller lake. Little Egrets 15, Heron 2
Pochard 3 on N lake. Teal 11, Gadwall 2(?). Apart from lots of Tufties where are all the ducks?
Lots of B/H Gull, Common Gull 2, Herring Gull 6, LBB Gull 2. Lots of moving around by the gulls.
G C Grebe 8, Little Grebe 4.
Grey Wagtail 1, Song Thrush 5, Magpie 6, Jay 1, Green Woodpecker 1.

Morden Bog

Great Grey Shrike still at Morden Bog, again up on the top side of the heath underneath the Pylons, it has now been present since November the 7th. Also a single Snipe in the boggy area around Decoy Pond,a Bullfinch by Decoy Cottage and 5 Dartford Warbler.

Attachments

• sxggs1.jpg
    sxggs1.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 36
  • sxggs3.jpg
    sxggs3.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 38
  • sxggs5.jpg
    sxggs5.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 61
Longham lakes

White rumped sandpiper still on the island today, but as the water level rises I wonder if it will move on. Also good numbers of common duck, green woodpecker, grey wagtail, jay, buzzard, fieldfares in the horse paddocks along Green Lane and mistle thrush there too.
Lbb, common, herring and bh gull on the lake.
Chris

Thanks again for the directions to Morden Bog. Went byesterday and found the lake and not long after found the Shrike! Great views as well. Unfortunately my photos are not as good as the ones above, but proof nonethless!

Went on to Middlebere and watched 2 Marsh Harriers quartering the reeds, a few Avocent, lots of Teal and a lone Grey Plover.

Went from there on to Arne and spent most of the time seeking out the Firecrest between the car park and the chapel. Some great views but the light was failing and they wouldn't stay still or obligingly perch in the open!

Finished off by swinging past Hatch Pond on the way home. No Bittern but did see Gadwall, Creat Crester Grebe and maybe a hundred or more Pied Wagtail coming in to roost.

Lots of Avocent off Upton Country Park this evening, lots of Widgeon, Curlew, Redshank and a nervous Kingfisher!

Attachments

• GGS tree_small.jpg
    GGS tree_small.jpg
    373.9 KB · Views: 63
  • Harrier_small.jpg
    Harrier_small.jpg
    352.8 KB · Views: 61
  • Hover look down_small.jpg
    Hover look down_small.jpg
    215.6 KB · Views: 80
Holes Bay

As Ingbrder888 said yesterday numbers are picking up in Holes Bay. This morning the highlights were 9 Spoonbill, 103 Avocet , 1 Spotted Redshank and a handful of Pintail. There was also a unidentified duck associating with a group of Shelduck, have put it on the ID forum and an answer has come back as a Cape Shelduck( likely Escapee)

There were also good number of Wigeon, Teal, Dunlin and Redshank.

Attachments

• sxspoon.jpg
    sxspoon.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 52
  • sxspoon1.jpg
    sxspoon1.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 40
  • sxpintail.jpg
    sxpintail.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 38
  • sxwigeon2.jpg
    sxwigeon2.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 44
Great pics. Where do you stand/walk to get the good views over Holes Bay?

There is a tarmaced path that runs between the Dual Carraigeways and the main inner body of Holes Bay. The best area on the this path is by the outflow channel that supplies warmer water into the bay, when the tide is out this outflow is popular with waders and ducks. The Spoonbill and Avocet came quite close in here in last years winter period.

Holes Bay

8 Spoonbills this morning, and the only other extra compared to Wednesday was a single Goldeneye in the channel diving with a Tufted Duck fo company.

Attachments

• sxspoon2.jpg
    sxspoon2.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 47
  • sxspoon3.jpg
    sxspoon3.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 39
  • sxgoldeneye.jpg
    sxgoldeneye.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 64

Users who are viewing this thread

Back