• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tripod - Nikon Fieldscope 82mm ED Spotting Scope (1 Viewer)

Steinadler

Hello Forum,

I have been birding with binoculars for many years. Now I am interested in buying a scope.

The Nikon 82mm ED looks like the best value. As I am not familiar with tripods and heads - would you kindly recommend a good tripod that will be compatible with the scope?

Thanks and good birding.

I think the next issue to consider is weight. Generally one wants the tripod to be heavier than the scope for greater stability. But if you are planning on doing a lot of walking with the scope you'll want to go as light as you can so that's the advantage of a carbon fiber tripod which is more expensive. If you expect to walk short distances, and primarily bird from a blind or near your vehicle, a heavier less expensive tripod made of metal will be adequate. If you expect to use your scope in windy areas definitely go for a heavier tripod. I have been happy with the Manfrotto line of tripods and heads. If you think a heavier tripod would work for you contact me because I have one for sale.

Get carbon fibre tripod and Manfrotto 502 video head. If 501 still available, that's a good one too.

If you do a lot of walking in long distance, the Nikon ED50 with DS16x or 13-40x MC II zoom eyepiece is excellent. I have used this in the dark rainforest, rain etc, the view is lovely

If you do less walking, the Nikon ED82 with DS30x is a great value nowadays. The 501/502 video head with these combo is good if you wanted to do Digiscoping in the future because it balances well with camera, adapter etc.

Both scopes I used to have now sold to friends. Now I'm using the Nikon EDG85 but much heavier and superb for shooting with DSLR via photo adapter :)

Last edited:
(...) The Nikon 82mm ED looks like the best value. As I am not familiar with tripods and heads - would you kindly recommend a good tripod that will be compatible with the scope? (...)
Yes, the ED82A is still a great value. But especially for magnifications of 50x and above you need a really solid tripod to realise its true potential. The well-known Bogen/Manfrotto 055 and 190 series are to flimsy in my experience and so are the 1kg carbon tripods. Good, affordable, but heavy and a little cumbersome are wooden tripods e.g. by Berlebach. By all means, try a tripod without center column: You will lose a little comfort but also eliminate a potential source of vibration.
I bought a Feisol CT-3372 years ago after careful testing and I am still more than happy with it. Combine it with a 2-way panning head (Manfrotto, Gitzo, Linhof...) with quick release assembly.

Last edited:
1) extreme value for money with the Nikon ED82A, good choice! I really recommend the 30xDS above the narrow fielded 25-75 zoom!
2) the fluid head: the Manfrotto RC128 is still very good and affordable
3) buy a tripod long enough so you don't have to use the centercolumn: less shakey.
4) of course carbon fiber is the best. But if you don't use it often in windy (e.g. coastal) areas it is not necessary. Even for digiscoping a good metal Manfrotto will work fine. In Holland there is a brand called BENRO, Chinese Gitzo look-a-likes but very affordable, even in carbon. Vanguard also makes reasonable tripods.

IMO the height and the fluidhead are the most important issues.

Good luck,

I've been making do with a cheap Velbon Delta for years. Can anyone tell me how a Manfrotto or other quality tripod (with hide clamp?) will improve my birding? Or maybe it won't. I don't walk with my scope (ED82A) for huge distances, but do like to be reasonably mobile.

I've been making do with a cheap Velbon Delta for years. Can anyone tell me how a Manfrotto or other quality tripod (with hide clamp?) will improve my birding? Or maybe it won't. I don't walk with my scope (ED82A) for huge distances, but do like to be reasonably mobile.

Carbon fibre tripod is better than aluminum because it damped vibration faster especially when you do sea watching ...

I was tracking an ED82a on ebay this week - it came with a 30x EP and a stay-on case and was in 'unused' condition. Went for £676. The the bloke who won it immediately re-listed it for £200 more. I know all's fair in love and capitalism, but it really P***ed me off.

700rc2 head is great but will not accommodate my dslr cameras. I switched to the Manfrotto 3160 (128?) which can handle scope and camera nicely.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back