• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Mistle Thrush (1 Viewer)

Himalaya

I visitd Martin Mere a couple of weeks ago and witnessed a pair of Mistle Thrush mobbing a Tawny owl very furiously. I dont think many birds can mob as a Mistle Thrush can. I witnessed a Mistle Thrush dive bombing a Sparrowhawk and chasing it a few days later.
A couple of years ago I witnessed a pair fighting a Magpie.

Soem of the books/wesbites say that Misyle Thriush can be very aggressive when nesting and have been known to kill other birds as large as Blackbird and Song Thrush.

Has anyone seen anything like that happen?

Yesterday I saw pair mob with young mob and chase away a Kestrel. I don't think it knew what hit it. They were very aggressive.

I have never known mistle thrushes to kill other birds when fending their territories but I do know they can be volatile towards anything, any size, when approaching too close to their nests. Humans are not immune to their aggression and I've even seen cattle being bombarded! They pound their interlopers with droppings if the threat gets too risky. Many a crow or hawks plumage has been ruined by this and this could prove fatal in the long term. Fieldfares show the same aggression at nest sites and I've observed this while on a trip to the Ardennes in Belgium a few years back.
I've often thought of mistle thrushes as bullish, what with their big black eyes and their cocky, confident posture and bold markings.

Si.

Fieldfares have one advantage and that is they nest in colonies and they all gang upon intruders and spray them.

Funnily enough even Blackbirds dive bomb humans if they approach close.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back