• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Smew in Dorset in May (1 Viewer)

scary-canary

Canaries forever... and i'm not always scary, some
I found a redhead smew at Longham lake, Ferndown, yesterday. Bit unseasonal I know. Has anyone got any other records over the years of smew in May in Southern England which might support this record?
Chris

Attachments

• P1020082.jpg
    P1020082.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 137
There was a report of a redhead Smew at Wimborne Minster on the River Allen on 29.05.02. The next latest one was one at Lodmoor RSPB 20.04.08. I've only checked Dorset though.

I saw that bird, it became a resident. Great bird, i think it was used in the Belvide logo wasn't it?

It was for a while yes, Sid his name was - he popped his sawbill clogs before I started being a regular - never seen a male there, but two redheads still nice.

We have had birds in early May in Cheshire but i'll check the records to see if I can find the latest.

CB

I have done some checking and Cheshire has May records in four years - 1969 (seen till 9th), 1979 (wintering bird stayed until 16th JUNE when apparently found dead), 1992 (seen till 3rd) & 1996 (seen till 19th).

The 1979 bird was truly extraordinary as very few birds summer in Britain.

CB

I was at slapton ley bird hide on saturday around lunch time. I usualy watch from the far side, but decided to park up to use the toilet.
anyhow popped into the hide and a few meters from the shore was a female Smew. Lovely redish ginger head, it swam out to the middle of the ley, but no mistake, it was a female smew. Very late I think. I will post the record to DBWPS later this month.
Phil

I was at slapton ley bird hide on saturday around lunch time. I usualy watch from the far side, but decided to park up to use the toilet.
anyhow popped into the hide and a few meters from the shore was a female Smew. Lovely redish ginger head, it swam out to the middle of the ley, but no mistake, it was a female smew. Very late I think. I will post the record to DBWPS later this month.
Phil

Sounds like she's touring the south coast!
Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back