• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ecuador - Alambi - Aug - Group 3 (1 Viewer)

Frozen-in-MN

A few more that I think are easier and I think I've got right but would love some confirmation.

These are all hummingbirds from the Alambi Cloudforest Reserve on the western slope at about 5100 ft.

#1 - White-whiskered Hermit? It's got the golden eyebrow and the white tips on the long tail.

#2 - Green-crowned Woodnymph? - Bright green head with violet breast.

#3 - Green-crowned Brilliant - all green with throat patch. Bluish tail.

#4 - Gorgeted Sunangel - white chest band.

Attachments

• 2014-08-24 499-prob White-whiskered Hermit - Alambi-reduced.jpg
    2014-08-24 499-prob White-whiskered Hermit - Alambi-reduced.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 42
  • 2014-08-24 511-poss Green-crowned Woodnymph - Alambi-reduced.JPG
    2014-08-24 511-poss Green-crowned Woodnymph - Alambi-reduced.JPG
    212 KB · Views: 30
  • 2014-08-24 555 - poss Green-crowned Brilliant-reduced.jpg
    2014-08-24 555 - poss Green-crowned Brilliant-reduced.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 34
  • 2014-08-24 563 - prob Gorgeted Sunangel - Alambi-reduced.JPG
    2014-08-24 563 - prob Gorgeted Sunangel - Alambi-reduced.JPG
    151.5 KB · Views: 41
#4 looks more like a Woodstar than a Sunangel (the white band is rather broad and extends up the sides of the neck, and the tail seems long and slender). Sorry, don't have the resources to get any of them to species at the mo.

Cheers

James

1). Likely White-whiskered, although I can't tell it's not a Green based on just a back view.
2). Agree with Woodnymph.
3). Not sure
4). Agree with James. I think Purple-throated, partly based on range, and partly on the all-dark belly.

James and Peter - I agree on #4 - definitely a Woodstar which I have other pictures of right there.
I was working off the wrong checklist (one for Bellavista) and tried too hard to match it. It's supposed to be common at Bellavista - I'll have to recheck those photos to see if I got it elsewhere.

#1 - I went with White-whiskered Hermit since it's on the Alambi checklist and the Green Hermit is shown only on eastern slope.

#3 - Green-crowned Brilliant is common on the checklist. I've attached another view of this same bird as pic #5. It has the postocular white spot, the small violet-blue throat patch, and the blue-black tail that I was expecting. Hope this extra shot helps.

Thanks.

Attachments

• 2014-08-24 559 - poss Green-crowned Brilliant - reduced.jpg
    2014-08-24 559 - poss Green-crowned Brilliant - reduced.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 19
James and Peter -

#6 attached below. This was the image I intended to call a Gorgeted Sunangel. Taken at Bellevista where it's listed as common. The white neck band is much more narrow.
Thoughts?

Attachments

• 2014-08-24 131-poss gorgeted Sunangel-reduced.JPG
    2014-08-24 131-poss gorgeted Sunangel-reduced.JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 22
#3 - Green-crowned Brilliant is common on the checklist. I've attached another view of this same bird as pic #5. It has the postocular white spot, the small violet-blue throat patch, and the blue-black tail that I was expecting. Hope this extra shot helps.

Got some more feedback about this one - "Brilliants have heavier, slightly curved bill, which seems to rise out of the face".
I see that Western Emerald is common at Alambi where this was taken.
That one is all green, straight bill, and has the blue tail.

#3, #5 - Western Emerald? What do you think?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back