• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spoon-billed Sandpipers in China (3 Viewers)

Jianggang,Dongtai is not good anymore,due that it's building a Jiangsu version of Saemangeum. On 6 May we only saw 4000 waders,with only one Spooner and four NGreenshank.

Attachments

• SDC10030_??.jpg
    SDC10030_??.jpg
    457 KB · Views: 49
At sunrise on 15 Aug I saw quite a few Spooner in high tide in Rudong.They were very active in feeding even in high tide when the other birds slept.Only Marsh and Greenshank fed with Spooner.
It seems that these birds just arrived last night or this morning and need to build up energy.Many of them were in 80~90% br plumage and had no primaries dropped yet.A few others were in 50~70% br plumage which had dropped the inner 5~6 primaries.

The bright red ones reminds me of my first sighting here in mid-Aug,2008--how time flies!

here're the photos of three Spooner.
U can see the one in 90% br plumage has no primaries dropped while the two in 50~60% br plumage have four outer primaries remained.

Attachments

• 577_s.jpg
    577_s.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 59
  • 606_s.jpg
    606_s.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 58
  • 629_no.10.jpg
    629_no.10.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 67
Thanks mcaribou for the news and pictures. I have forgotten - are these typical numbers and plumage for your mid August sightings?

The first adult banded in the breeding ground this year with numbers 01 on the flag arrived in Rudong(seen on 31 Aug and 2 Sep with 90% br plumage).
And the first juv this autumn in Rudong was recorded on 1 Sep.

What would be the chances of there being one at Mai Po when I hope to drop in next Feb? I'll keep looking at the various blogs of course. It would certainly make it a definite visit!! I've only got one (or two) mornings!

Good stuff Mc, here's hoping one of them head-starter's passes your way soon!

Yes. Fingers crossed that one or more of the headstarted birds is seen somewhere. They did get off to a good start but it would be fantastic to know that they went on to migrate like the wild-hatched birds. I have every confidence that they have, but would be nice to be sure.

Thanks for the news.

Ken

The first adult banded in the breeding ground this year with numbers 01 on the flag arrived in Rudong(seen on 31 Aug and 2 Sep with 90% br plumage).
And the first juv this autumn in Rudong was recorded on 1 Sep.

photos of adult 01 by Michelle and Peter Wong from HK
and of juv by Zhangxiaoban from Zhejiang University,Hangzhou

and reply from the ones working in the breeding ground
the Spoon-billed Sandpiper with light green flag and inscription '01' was the very first bird of this species banded and flagged this year near Meinypilgyno, Chukotka, Russia. It is an adult male captured on 14 June 2013 on its nest (situated near the SW corner of the Pekulneiskoe Lake, co-ordinates: 62deg 34.129min N, 177deg 04.180min E) immediately after its clutch of 4 eggs has been picked up for artificial incubation.

A replacement clutch (3 eggs) of this pair was found at a distance of 280 m from the previous nest on 28 June, which hatched on 15 July. One fledgling of the brood was caught on 30 July. I aware about the last record of this male with its 3 fledged young on 3 August, while Nikolay Yakushev possibly had later observations of this bird in the area which was close to the aviary for raising chicks hatched in incubators. It is worth mentioning that apart of his 3 young raised from the replacement clutch 3 more chicks fledged in the aviary from his early clutch. Thus, in total 6 young birds of this pair fledged in 2013!!!

Our last observation of the individual, was on Sunday the 4th August. On the morning of the 5th, when Nicky and I last monitored the area, the male was not observed. However, all three of his well flrdged young were observed, all feeding in the same area as the remaing post released SBS.

Attachments

• adultgreen01.jpg
    adultgreen01.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 81
  • adultgreen01-wingopen.jpg
    adultgreen01-wingopen.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 63
  • juvZhangxiaoban.jpg
    juvZhangxiaoban.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 65
Here's my photo of 01 again on 15 Sep,Rudong.U can see it has two old outer primaries and 6 new inner ones.
On the same day,we saw another one much redder than 01.The others were very pale now,mostly in less than 10% br plumage.

Attachments

• 20130914?? 138_??.jpg
    20130914?? 138_??.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 74
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back