• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds of Malta: Adin's Thread. (1 Viewer)

phil baber

Clipped Wing
Europe
Have been concerned that Malta needs help for its lovers of birds.

I suggested Adin should have a thread to report back to us all, the REAL situation, and reports of birds from the island.

I may be forcing stuff here, but the thread is in operation. And I hope we can now learn more about Malta, through Adin's words?

I apologise if this was very forward of me Adin...?

I started this, but I welcome Adin to make it live, and breathe...

I hope we all can learn from it.

Over to you Adin............

Phil - your link links back to this page, going round in circles here!

Should be an interesting thread in any case.

Have been concerned that Malta needs help for its lovers of birds.

I suggested Adin should have a thread to report back to us all, the REAL situation, and reports of birds from the island.

I may be forcing stuff here, but the thread is in operation. And I hope we can now learn more about Malta, through Adin's words?

I apologise if this was very forward of me Adin...?

I started this, but I welcome Adin to make it live, and breathe...

I hope we all can learn from it.

Over to you Adin............

Hi Baber i will accept the challenge o:D and infact i just finished from a great Birdwatching day! Me together with another 5 birders of my own age decided to Visit Comino (Malta`s thrid largest Island and no hunting or trapping is permitted as it is a Reserve) and we did get some quality birds ;)

3 Cory's Shearwater
40 Glossy Ibis (2 flocks, 19 (1 of these seemed to have a dangling leg) at 16:10 and 21 immediately after at 16:20)
6 Great White Egret (1 flock seen at 7:30 from boat on our way to Comino)
70 Little Egret (29 resting on Comino, 37 resting on gozo, 4 resting on Comino)
17 Grey Heron (single bird and a flock of 16 seen at 12:30 migrating in a northerly direction)
15 Marsh Harrier
1 Peregrine Falcon (seen for about 2 hours, hunting for pigeons)
2 Common Kestrel
60+ Yellow-legged Gull
9 Cranes (flock seen at 11:15 over Malta)
1 Green Sandpiper (heard)
7 Turtle Dove
5 Collared Dove
1 Alpine Swift
20+ Common Swift
3 Hoopoe
8 Wryneck
1 House Martin
15+ Swallow
2 Short-toed Lark
1 Skylark
1 Yellow Wagtail
20+ Tree Pipit
6 Blue Rock Thrush
8 Northern Wheatear
1 Black-eared Wheatear (Adult Male ssp. Melanoleuca, see pic)
4 Whinchat
1 Common Redstart
1 Robin
20+ Nightingale
1 Zitting Cisticola
20+ Sardinian Warbler
3 Spectacled Warbler
2 Whitethroat
3 Subalpine Warbler
2 Willow Warbler
10+ Wood Warbler
1 Collared Flycatcher
1 Semi-collared Flycatcher (female)
5 Starling (1 seen carrying food towards pig farm area)
1 Linnet
30+ Spanish Sparrow

later in Malta we saw an Avocet (lifer) and Purple Gallinule (still present :) )

finished the day with 2 lifers (Great white Egret and Avocet)

Pics attached of Comino Island and i will try to continue this thread :t:

Attachments

• 130.jpg
    130.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 97
Amazing Adin!

What a great thread!

TELL US MORE ABOUT MALTA AND ITS BIRDS!

Am SO happy, my drunken stupidity (?) has created Adin's Thread?

I, for one, will BOOKMARK it, and check it everyday! Hooray!
YOU!

So jealous of the birds you've reported ALREADY!

On YOUR thread!

Keep us informed won't you?

Many Best Wishes!

Humbly, :-C

phil

Congratulations on the Avocet and Great White Egrets, by the way.

Sounds like you had a very good day!

What else will you tell us about tomorow?

I await the next report!

What a bloody fantastic day! I knew Malta was good for migration, but that number and variety is absolutely phenomenal. It's great to know there are more birders in Malta, especially a few more young ones as well as yourself. And, once Phil reads this, he might want to calm down, were you drunk/stoned/giddy from seeing a Slender-billed Curlew prancing around in youe back garden! When Adin has become president of Malta, abd abolished hunting on the Island for good, you have every right to treat him like a god and dance around his throne, feeding him grapes an giving him foot massages. But for now, try and calm yourself down, you are an embarrasment to your country and I am calling the queen!

i woul really be glad if you all check this website about birding in Malta....made by two great friends of mine who also are young birders..the site is still being updated but still gives clear indications of birds seen in Malta

http://www.birdinginmalta.com/

Check it out pls :)

i woul really be glad if you all check this website about birding in Malta....made by two great friends of mine who also are young birders..the site is still being updated but still gives clear indications of birds seen in Malta

http://www.birdinginmalta.com/

Check it out pls :)

That's a brilliant website.

Love that the Maltese names for birds are featured in the checklist!

If your friends want me to proof-read the English, I'll do this and mail it back to you. Just to make it more professional. (PM me. I'll have it done very quickly.) (Not that their English is bad! Just to "iron out the creases!")

Is that a Giant Hoopoe in front of Buskett Gardens, about to devour the Verdala Palace? ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buskett_Gardens

Really would love to visit Malta one day when this amazing migration is in progress!

Thanks for keeping the thread going!

Keep us posted Adin.

Maybe you could tell us more about Malta, Gozo, and Comino?

You are from Gozo right? Is that a good place for a birding holiday, as opposed to the main island, or Comino?

I hope we can all learn more, and Malta will eventually have more visiting birders than minority resident "hunters!" :t:

All the very best,

phil ;)

Thanks very much for this great thread, Adin and Phil. The birdinginmalta.com website is fantastic. Mr aiki and I are off to Malta tomorrow to spend a week on the BirdLife Malta Springwatch camp - really looking forward to seeing some of the migrants as well as doing our bit to help deter the illegal hunters.

Thanks very much for this great thread, Adin and Phil. The birdinginmalta.com website is fantastic. Mr aiki and I are off to Malta tomorrow to spend a week on the BirdLife Malta Springwatch camp - really looking forward to seeing some of the migrants as well as doing our bit to help deter the illegal hunters.

are you? thats great i will join the camp for maybe two visits bdw today the goverment annouced that he will open the spring hunting

http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20100409/local/hunting-season-announced

and its a mess

I'm sorry to hear that the government has decided to open a spring hunting season this year - and it sounds like the way they have done it will be very difficult to manage.

Maybe I'll get to meet you at the camp, Adin. I am writing a magazine article about our trip for a UK magazine and it would be great to hear what Malta birders make of the situation.

I'm sorry to hear that the government has decided to open a spring hunting season this year - and it sounds like the way they have done it will be very difficult to manage.

Maybe I'll get to meet you at the camp, Adin. I am writing a magazine article about our trip for a UK magazine and it would be great to hear what Malta birders make of the situation.

Its a shame that he is going to open it BUT he only gave them 6 days compared to 2 months, hunting only until noon, with marshalls and more police officers, bag limit and the worse for the hunters is that only 2,500 hunters could hunt compared to 13,000 hunters registered.. SO they now said better boycott the hunting season then what they were given

so we will wait and see what will happen:-O

Aikidoka,

This is NOW Adin's thread!

Forget my involvement in it!

JUST GO THERE, AND DISRUPT THE CARNAGE! If you can!

I love you to bits for it! :t:

Hope you can make a difference, and have fun, if you can?

Best of luck!

phil :t:

Aikidoka,

This is NOW Adin's thread!

Forget my involvement in it!

JUST GO THERE, AND DISRUPT THE CARNAGE! If you can!

I love you to bits for it! :t:

Hope you can make a difference, and have fun, if you can?

Best of luck!

phil :t:

Thank you! I am blushing now... We leave for the airport this afternoon. Nervous about it, excited too. I'll be writing a report or maybe daily reports in my blog when we're back, or while we're there if there's time :t:

Best of luck, and have a safe and good trip!

Would love to hear of your reports on Adin's Thread also!

I'm sure all of us will!

Spare your blushes for the sun-burn! ;)

Having a great time on the camp. This morning I filmed an illegal hunter and saw my first Subalpine Warbler. The other teams have seen many great birds and heard and witnessed illegal hunting activity. We've also met several very keen and knowledgeable Maltese birders :)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back