• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shanghai Perambulations (7 Viewers)

I thought the Osprey pic was pretty spectacular . . . until I opened the Peregrine shot - It's magnificent!

Cheers
Mike

I thought the Osprey pic was pretty spectacular . . . until I opened the Peregrine shot - It's magnificent!

Cheers
Mike

Cheers Mike !

Another one of the Osprey and a Reed Parrotbill attached.

Attachments

• Osprey%20-%20Chongming%20%233-X2.jpg
    Osprey%20-%20Chongming%20%233-X2.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 46
  • Reed%20Parrotbill%20-%20Chongming%20%231-X2.jpg
    Reed%20Parrotbill%20-%20Chongming%20%231-X2.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 40
The Peregrine still takes the bell - and the second shot shows how much of a mess of a bird the parrotbill is!

Cheers
Mike

I do so love those quirky parrotbills. Cheers guys !

Dev. trying hard to spot me after I'd gone after the Reed Parrotbills :D

Attachments

• Plain%20Prinia%20-%20Chongming%20%232-XL.jpg
    Plain%20Prinia%20-%20Chongming%20%232-XL.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 44
  • Plain%20Prinia%20-%20Chongming%20%231-XL.jpg
    Plain%20Prinia%20-%20Chongming%20%231-XL.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 34
  • Dev%20%40%20Chongming-X2.jpg
    Dev%20%40%20Chongming-X2.jpg
    260.5 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Well these shots weren't taken in Shanghai - more is the pity - but at least they are found in China (though these were taken in Borneo)... assuming they are indeed the same spp.

Velvet Fronted Nuthatch

Most of these are of the mother (assumed) but #5 is the chick, newly fledged, calling for it's parents.

Hope you enjoy viewing this bird :)

Attachments

• Velvet%20Nuthatch%20%40%20Sepilok%20%238-X2.jpg
    Velvet%20Nuthatch%20%40%20Sepilok%20%238-X2.jpg
    263.8 KB · Views: 31
  • Velvet%20Nuthatch%20%40%20Sepilok%20%231b-X2.jpg
    Velvet%20Nuthatch%20%40%20Sepilok%20%231b-X2.jpg
    455.6 KB · Views: 21
  • Velvet%20Nuthatch%20%40%20Sepilok%20%237-X2.jpg
    Velvet%20Nuthatch%20%40%20Sepilok%20%237-X2.jpg
    294.9 KB · Views: 34
  • Velvet%20Nuthatch%20%40%20Sepilok%20%236b-X2.jpg
    Velvet%20Nuthatch%20%40%20Sepilok%20%236b-X2.jpg
    275.6 KB · Views: 28
  • Velvet%20Nuthatch%20%40%20Sepilok%20%234b-X2.jpg
    Velvet%20Nuthatch%20%40%20Sepilok%20%234b-X2.jpg
    231.3 KB · Views: 45
Well these shots weren't taken in Shanghai - more is the pity - but at least they are found in China (though these were taken in Borneo)... assuming they are indeed the same spp.

Velvet Fronted Nuthatch

Most of these are of the mother (assumed) but #5 is the chick, newly fledged, calling for it's parents.

Hope you enjoy viewing this bird :)

Oh you...you...scouse git!

Fab pics...should put 'em in a book... ;D

M

Great shots of the Nuthatch! Hoping to see this species in Borneo in Chinese New Year...speaking of which, got any hints as to what I can see during that time, you guys? ;D

Also, the draining of a large lake at Nanhui has attracted some 50+ Lapwings and an immense flock of 100+ Dunlin. Spectacular!

Great shots of the Nuthatch! Hoping to see this species in Borneo in Chinese New Year...speaking of which, got any hints as to what I can see during that time, you guys? ;D

Also, the draining of a large lake at Nanhui has attracted some 50+ Lapwings and an immense flock of 100+ Dunlin. Spectacular!

Cheers !

Where exactly is the draining taking place ? Close to the Holiday Inn ? I might take a run down there tomorrow.

Borneo : I have one Trip Report here : http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=263262&highlight=Sabah

I went back again but have been too busy (read : lazy) to write up the 2nd yet, so if you have any specific questions ask away !

Cheers !

Where exactly is the draining taking place ? Close to the Holiday Inn ? I might take a run down there tomorrow.

Borneo : I have one Trip Report here : http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=263262&highlight=Sabah

I went back again but have been too busy (read : lazy) to write up the 2nd yet, so if you have any specific questions ask away !

1. What is the best trail (in your opinion) to bird on during a one-day trip to Mt. Kinabalu? (its a family trip really, and my parents are taking me and my 5-yr old brother to Borneo for a vacation; only hoping to get some good birds along the way :-O ). What sort of birds can be seen on a one-day trip? Just the common ones, I'm not expecting Whitehead's Broadbill or Everett's Thrush :p
2. Looking back on the trip, would you say Sepilok's canopy walk was more productive than the trails below, or vice versa?
3. Any Helmeted Hornbill? o:D
4. What was birding the Upper Kinabatangan like? Are any of the more localized species (e.g. Storm's Stork) guaranteed?
5. Which of the three are the worst nightmare if you want many species- Bulbuls, female Sunbirds, or Swiftlets?
Also, do you know of any February records for Sabah? (can't find any)

Sorry, I've forgotten to answer your initial question!

The Lapwings are in the remnants of the large lake at the opening of the signage road- the one with reeds on one side and sheep on the other.

Great shots Kevin, missed these epic pics,outcome of F.p. calidus looks better than the camera screen. I had Velvet-fronted Nuthatches back in India but never really close, those are gem shots! Keep em comin, still waiting for your "Borneo-V2".

Sabah, Borneo.

1. What is the best trail (in your opinion) to bird on during a one-day trip to Mt. Kinabalu? (its a family trip really, and my parents are taking me and my 5-yr old brother to Borneo for a vacation; only hoping to get some good birds along the way :-O ). What sort of birds can be seen on a one-day trip? Just the common ones, I'm not expecting Whitehead's Broadbill or Everett's Thrush :p
2. Looking back on the trip, would you say Sepilok's canopy walk was more productive than the trails below, or vice versa?
3. Any Helmeted Hornbill? o:D
4. What was birding the Upper Kinabatangan like? Are any of the more localized species (e.g. Storm's Stork) guaranteed?
5. Which of the three are the worst nightmare if you want many species- Bulbuls, female Sunbirds, or Swiftlets?
Also, do you know of any February records for Sabah? (can't find any)

1. Bukit Ular (though any can produce)
2. Read my trip report here on Bird Forum - all in there !
3. The canopy walkway is very hit and miss. One morning it was easily the best we have ever had anywhere in Sabah .. other days/times it was dead !
5. I haven't had it yet :(
5. The river trips on the Kinabatangan are always a bit hit and miss too - but far more hit than miss. I saw Storm's Stork on 3 occasions so I think you would be unlucky to miss out. The mammal and reptilian life is also a big feature of those trips.
6. Bulbuls. They are far more shy than ours over here ! Some of the swifts you just need to go to the right location - not easy if you are with your family since they are scattered around Sabah.

7. Records - yes, check out EBird (see link below) - you can find bird sightings by location and date for many locations around the world, even Sabah !

http://ebird.org/ebird/eBirdReports?cmd=Start

Take a look at the Borneo forum and Trip Reports too. Lots of good info there.

Last edited:
Great shots Kevin, missed these epic pics,outcome of F.p. calidus looks better than the camera screen. I had Velvet-fronted Nuthatches back in India but never really close, those are gem shots! Keep em comin, still waiting for your "Borneo-V2".

Thanks mate !

Borneo v2 - yep I know ! Just been doing so much traveling and such that I haven't got around to it .. yet.

I'll pop up pics later today for people to confirm Red Throated Loon (Diver) or Black Throated Loon (Diver) that I saw on Hengsha Island yesterday !

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back