• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pas-de-Calais (1 Viewer)

johnhub

Relatively newbie birder
Hi

I've got a week's camping holiday in the Pas-de-Calais later this month. Not knowing anything about the area (except the ferry ports!) I'm looking for some advice about good wildlife and walking/cycling spots.

Not too bothered about rarities - just a chance to maybe see some birds we don't get in the UK!

Also, if anyone knows of any good cheap campsites, I'd love to know!

Any advice/wisdom greatly appreciated!

Cheers
John

For news in the area have a look at ornitho nord/pas-de-calais. For a good (albeit slightly outdated) review of birding areas google "cross channel birding" by John Cantelo. You should easily connect with birds like ST Treecreeper, Crested Tit, Icterine Warbler, Bluethroat, Marsh Warbler, Honey Buzzard, Kentish Plover, etc.
the only walking area I know is at Mont St Frieux, South of Boulogne. There's a camping area too, but I've never used it. Chance of Black Woodpecker there too.

Yes, as GMS suggests, since I've transferred my affections to SW Spain I've rather neglected my notes on Pas de Calais area which are somewhat out of date. It's certainly easier to get some of the species listed in May/early June, but you should have a good chance of connecting with them using my notes. The St. Omer area is also covered by notes to be found at www.relais-romelaere.com/gb/pages/Birders_guide.pdf‎
Do come back to me with any further questions about the area.

Hopefully Xenospiza's done it for me! If you can't find my bumf online drop me a PM with your email address and I'll send you the latest version,

Apologies that this is far too late but in spring (late April/May) the area around Hondschoote (just into Nord department and south of Dunkerque and close to the Belgian border) is absolutely superb for waders, Garganey etc. However by late summer it is so extensively shot over that there are rarely any birds at all. The ponds are created for hunting not birding sadly !

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back