• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Black or red? Hecho valley, Sp July (1 Viewer)

MTem

I am fairly sure this is a red kite (juvenile?), but have had my confidence in separating these two shattered in a recent post where I was sure they were reds and the experts waded in that they were assuredly black kites…… so which is it please?

Evident fork in the tail.

Flying in a large mixed group (bout 50) of red and black kites catching some large insects above us

Thanks
Mick

Attachments

• IMG_1190.jpg
    IMG_1190.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 103
Anyone else?

Any rationale Gladiator to help me in the future? Never thought it could be this difficult!

Mick

It has got a pretty battered tail, which is why the fork looks deeper than one might normally expect. I agree with Tom and his reasoning. Juvenile Red Kites look immaculate at this time of year, although 1st summers and older wouldn't.

Cheers

Roy

Agree with black for the reasons already given, there is little contrast in the windows. There are new growth primaries coming through, does that make this bird older?

Agree with black for the reasons already given, there is little contrast in the windows. There are new growth primaries coming through, does that make this bird older?

Hi Andy
At least it is not a juvenile nor a sec cal year bird as the outer primaries are not juvenile so 3rd cal y +

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back