• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

birder scotland (1 Viewer)

mags1967

is this a dunlin i think it is but there has been juvenile knot here too.thank you all in advance for your expertise.;)taken 28/08/2014 scotland motherwell.

Attachments

• New_1_DSCF8025.JPG
    New_1_DSCF8025.JPG
    123.5 KB · Views: 124
thank you on your quick reply.i thought so but someone else mentioned juvenile knot i think this ones to brown looking and its beak and size says dunlin but still learning and probably always will.never saw a knot but hopefully if i do i will know its a knot after seeing these dunlin.all the best margaret.

thank you on your quick reply.i thought so but someone else mentioned juvenile knot i think this ones to brown looking and its beak and size says dunlin but still learning and probably always will.never saw a knot but hopefully if i do i will know its a knot after seeing these dunlin.all the best margaret.
Morning Margaret. Like you we don't get many Knot around here either. When you do see one in the feather however they do stand out from Dunlins.

Hope you pick one up soon.

Rich

Although Dunlin come in a bewildering variety of shapes, sizes and colours Knot are always much larger, proportionally shorter legged and billed with delicate scalloping on the back, for juveniles or arrow shaped spots on the breast sides for adults in winter plumage. Although they are both grey in winter, Dunlin are noticeably browner while Knot have that blueish tint to the grey that Common Gulls have ( but the grey is paler ). As Rich says, when you see one you'll know. BTW. The grey / green legs can be difficult to make out, they quite often look blackish.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back