• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with id of vintage Nikons (1 Viewer)

lynnsterg

I (unfortunately) have no experience with birding or binoculars. But I have recently purchased a pair of vintage Nikons in what appear to me (a highly unskilled binocular-user) to be excellent condition. I have been reading everything I can find online to know more about my purchase, but am still in the dark. I was hoping that someone here could tell me what I have. They are inscribed with Nikon 9x 35 7.3* (degree symbol) and 724552. All I have been able to learn is what the 9x and 35 mean. I presume that the 6 digit number is a model or product number, but I can find nothing to help me figure this out. I have read about porroprisms and roof prisms, but nothing that tells me anything about these binoculars specifically. All I know is that they are a great pair of binoculars in hardly-used condition, but sadly without lens caps or case. Anyone out there have any information? I bought them to resell perhaps on eBay, but now I might just keep them! Thanks in advance for any info you can give this ignoramus!

I think what you have is a 9x35 A series made from sometime in the 50's until the introduction of the E series in I believe the late 70's. The A and E series are largely identical except for the longer eye relief eyepieces and roll-down rubber eyecups on the E's. Nikon opted for a 10x35 E instead of a 9x35, so there is no Nikon 9x35 after your model. The 6 digit number is the serial number. Collectors don't seem to have much interest in the Nikon A series, compared to something like West German Zeiss porros of the same vintage, so the Nikons usually sell for less than $100 on eBay, a good thing for buyers since these binoculars are very nice. Your model would probably be the most desireable of the A series, since nothing comparable to it was made later.

Much obliged

henry link said:
I think what you have is a 9x35 A series made from sometime in the 50's until the introduction of the E series in I believe the late 70's. The A and E series are largely identical except for the longer eye relief eyepieces and roll-down rubber eyecups on the E's. Nikon opted for a 10x35 E instead of a 9x35, so there is no Nikon 9x35 after your model. The 6 digit number is the serial number. Collectors don't seem to have much interest in the Nikon A series, compared to something like West German Zeiss porros of the same vintage, so the Nikons usually sell for less than $100 on eBay, a good thing for buyers since these binoculars are very nice. Your model would probably be the most desireable of the A series, since nothing comparable to it was made later.

Thank you so much for the valuable information, and for taking the time to write me...one other thing, what does the 7.3* refer to - in layman's terms ;) ? I might just have to take up birding, and keep these binoculars!

lynnsterg said:
Thank you so much for the valuable information, and for taking the time to write me...one other thing, what does the 7.3* refer to - in layman's terms ;) ? I might just have to take up birding, and keep these binoculars!

7.3 degrees for the field of view (out of a 360 degree circle, you see 7.3 degrees when looking through those binoculars).

Duh! I feel silly.

Otto McDiesel said:
7.3 degrees for the field of view (out of a 360 degree circle, you see 7.3 degrees when looking through those binoculars).

Of course...it seems all so obvious to me NOW! Thanks so much!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back