• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

North Lowestoft Suffolk (1 Viewer)

cjay

The Lowestoft Loop
Now we are getting towards the passerine migration I thought it was about time I showed you around my local patch of North Lowestoft. Land ranger map 134

The A12 flows through Lowestoft from London in the South to Great Yarmouth in the North. We begin our walk at Bell Vue Park TM 549945. (There is roadside parking in Park Road or North Parade (TM551946). Here check anything that moves. From August to November the trees can hold many of the commoner migrants such as Flycatchers, Redstarts & warblers. Next walk down the steps into the ravine. Her we cross to the Sparrows Nest Gardens. Usually good for a few common birds but that is all.

Walk through the wooden gates & cross over to the North Denes & walk towards the net drying posts just south of the Birds Eye Factory TM 551942. Here is very good for Wheatears & Whinchat in autumn along with pipits. Check all the bushes here.

Head east toward the sea wall & settle down for a well-earned rest. Set up your scope & enjoy some sea watching. If a good north Easter is blowing expect anything. In October great skeins of Brent Geese will be flying south along with all manner of Wildfowl & Waders. The Sewage outfall buoys attract Arctic Skuas & thousands of Gulls.

Next walk south to Ness Point TM 556938. Her the rocks play host to Rock Pipits & Purple Sandpipers. Finally check the Hamilton Dock TM 552932. For Grebes & any sheltering Wildfowl or Divers.

Turn round & walk back below the inland side of the sea wall until you come to the car park. Carry on north along the sea wall checking the sea & groynes for Gulls & any migration.

At Links Road car park TM 550955. Come off the sea wall & pass to the east of the Warren House wood & onto the Gunton Warren. Walk as far as the Nudist beach signs before turning back to links road car park. Here walk along the foot of the cliffs looking for passerines. Pass behind the Denes Oval along Flycatcher Lane, which is great for “Flycatchers” TM 550945. At the end of the lane walk up the path to North parade.

This should take two hours but a good five if you find some good birds.

For up to date info you can always E-mail me.

Colin J.

Cheers for that one Colin, I know some of that route but not from birdwatching. Would be good to look round it sometime.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back