• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Selva Verde, Costa Rica (1 Viewer)

peterbod

I just got back from a vacation in CR with non-birder friends so no dedicated birding done. Still, my count is approaching 100 and I have a couple of birds I need help with to confirm my thoughts. Appreciate your help.

Attachments

• ID1.jpg
    ID1.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 70
  • ID3.jpg
    ID3.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 74
  • ID4.jpg
    ID4.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 74
  • ID5.jpg
    ID5.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 66
  • ID6.jpg
    ID6.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 82
No 4 looks like rufous-tailed hummingbird, and five like black-hooded antshrike. Not sure right now of the others

Niels

1- Rufous-tailed Hummingbird.
2- Northern Barred Woodcreeper.
3. Chestnut-sided Warbler (very common and throws everyone for a loop).
4. Rufous-tailed Hummingbird.
5. Yes, Black-hooded Antshrike- maybe this was taken in the South Pacific area?

Thanks for your help.
Yes, I goofed. I meant to put the antshrike in my Pacific group - I saw the bird at La Cusinga in Uvita.
I'd never have got the Garden Emerald, it's not in the Stiles & Skutch guide (unless I'm missing something).
Thanks again

(unless I'm missing something).
Thanks again

Yes, a newer book. ;)

I too ran into this problem just a week ago or so, in Guanacaste - I am also an owner of a "Stiles & Skutch" (a very wrinkly old copy) and I love it, but the taxonomy is now more than 20 years old. I found a (truly astonishing!) hummingbird when I was there, which matched "Fork-tailed Emerald" in the book; however, on my new Costa Rica checklist (Comité Científico Asociación Ornitológica de Costa Rica, 2009), this species doesn't exist.

I'm sure the taxonomic situation is more complicated than this, but for CR, it would seem that the species that S&S refers to as "Fork-tailed Emerald" has been split into Garden Emerald (Chlorostilbon assimilis) and Canivet's Emerald (C. canivetii). (According to some other checklists I have seen, the latter bird just assumes the "Fork-tailed Emerald" common name; still others lump these two taxa, along with quite a few others, as "Blue-tailed Emerald", C.mellisugus).

As far as I can tell, the two species divide up nicely by range, with C. canivetii being in the north (and beyond, through the remainder of Meso-america and into Mexico), and C. assimilis being only on the South Pacific slope (and into Panama).

The Garden Emerald is mentioned in Stiles and Skutch but as a subspecies of Fork-tailed Emerald. Most lists now split Fork-tailed Emerald into Canivet's Emerald, Golden-crowned Emerald, and Garden Emerald.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back