• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bat sighting 22nd January 2013 (1 Viewer)

AlanH46

Whilst out birding on my local patch I was supprised to see a bat out hunting over a stretch of frozen canal at 1.00pm in the afternoon.

The canal is an arm of the Staffs / Worcester canal in the UK west midlands which is very close to a small river; the area between being an mixture of scrub and mature trees. The canal was frozen solid and all the surrounding area was covered in snow with temperature being 1 or 2 degrees.

The bat was flying back and forth in about 20 metres loops, about 2 metres above the canal and making fairly large sweeping turns.

The colour was a dark brown, length of the body was approx 80mm and span across the bent wings was about 200mm.

Can anyone hazard a quess on the species and is it unusual to see bats out at this time of year.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Whilst out birding on my local patch I was supprised to see a bat out hunting over a stretch of frozen canal at 1.00pm in the afternoon.

The canal is an arm of the Staffs / Worcester canal in the UK west midlands which is very close to a small river; the area between being an mixture of scrub and mature trees. The canal was frozen solid and all the surrounding area was covered in snow with temperature being 1 or 2 degrees.

The bat was flying back and forth in about 20 metres loops, about 2 metres above the canal and making fairly large sweeping turns.

The colour was a dark brown, length of the body was approx 80mm and span across the bent wings was about 200mm.

Can anyone hazard a quess on the species and is it unusual to see bats out at this time of year.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Given the behavioour I'd call that a pipistrelle sp. but its a strictly tentative ID. The only bats I've seen out in winter daylight have been Noctules but they go much faster and higher than your description.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back