• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I have lived with these for nine years help (1 Viewer)

stevefrance64

Butterfly, bird and flora nutter
I live in the Pays Basque France these live in an old bedroom, 9 years back there were 3 now its 19. I imagine in the barns and out houses there are over 100, its about time I found out what species they are, I love them, we are such good mates I can approach within inches and they take no notice but its a pity about the mess they make:t: I am dunce but imagine its a species of Horseshoe Bat?

Attachments

• P8150223 (Medium).JPG
    P8150223 (Medium).JPG
    104.5 KB · Views: 132
  • P8150226 (Medium).JPG
    P8150226 (Medium).JPG
    150.1 KB · Views: 103
  • P8150230.jpg
    P8150230.jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
Thanks for your reply OsageArcher 'tis funny I have put this up on a number or British/European sites without a reply bat folk appear to be a close shop you need a funny hand shake

Certainly a species of Horseshoe Bat; you have three species in your area: Greater, Lesser and Mediterranean Horseshoe Bats.

The 'sella' of the nose leaf is important in IDing the species visually. From this I wouldn't like to hazard a guess as the sella isn't all that clear in the pics.

It is 'wedge-shaped' in the Lesser; 'violin-shaped' in the Greater and has parallel sides in the Mediterranean.

You can certainly tell whether or not they are Lesser Horseshoe Bats as those are very small (about the size of a plum). They also tend to furl themselves completely in their wings, which your bats haven't (a clue).

I have no experience of Mediterranean Horseshoe Bat.

You lucky person.

John

Thank you all for your imput I will try and get a better picture of its snout The Bats are about the same size as my thumb

Thanks
Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back