Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old Thursday 5th October 2017, 17:40   #851
BrendaA
BrendaW

 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Pyrenees France
Posts: 248
Most days all summer I have seen between 35 to 60 birds a day from looking out or when in the garden.
I have a parasol over the garden table, my garden is quiet, some flowers loads of weeds several trees couple bushes thick hedges , at moment rotten apples on a tree and on the grass , the good ones pureed etc and in the freezer since two months already.
To Richard Prior , I dont think will see any bramblings in garden before end of the year, usually see lots end dec first week jan .Havent started putting anything in feeders as there still lots stuff around including insects etc worms lizards snails berries and the apples!
BrendaA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 5th October 2017, 19:59   #852
BryanP
Registered User
 
BryanP's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Costa Rica
Posts: 53
Costa Rican backyard

I can't believe I've only just found this thread, can I play?

We are in an apartment on the Quebradas river in the Pérez Zeledón canton of Costa Rica for September to January. The apt has a lovely view of the property along with the Quebradas river running along the bottom of the garden. We've also set up a banana feeder on the edge of the balcony which is starting to bring in the birds.

Unfortunately the landlord, like a lot of avid gardeners in Central America has planted mostly exotic ornamental shrubs and trees. The result is there is little incentive for birds to stop in the property. Few local gardeners seem to want native fruiting trees.
Now that the local birds have discovered the feeder though I'm starting to see more of them moving through.
As a thrilling side note the Speckled Tanagers have started visiting the feeder. Always a big deal as we are just at the very low end of their altitude range.


So far, 48 species seen in the yard (including flyovers) asterisk shows species that have actually visited the feeder. Mostly we are seeing the usual suspects but it's all fun nonetheless.
Hope to add more as we go on.

Cheers,
Bryan

Bananaquit*
Bay-headed Tanager*
Black Phoebe
Black Vulture
Blue Dacnis
Blue and White Swallow
Blue-gray Tanager*
Brown Jay
Buff-throated Saltator*
Cherries Tanager*
Clay-coloured Thrush*
Common Tody Flycatcher
Crimson-fronted Parakeet
Fiery-billed Aracari
Golden-hooded Tanager*
Gray-capped Flycatcher
Gray-cowled Wood Rail
Gray-headed Chachalaca
Great Kiskadee*
Green Honeycreeper*
House Wren
MacGillivray's Warbler*
Olivaceous Piculet
Orange-chinned Parakeet
Palm Tanager*
Paltry Tyrannulet
Purple-crowned Fairy
Red-crowned Woodpecker
Red-legged Honeycreeper*
Riverside Wren
Roadside Hawk
Ruddy-ground Dove
Rufous-collared Sparrow
Rufous-tailed Hummingbird
Silver-throated Tanager
Social Flycatcher
Speckled Tanager*
Stripe-throated Hermit
Swallow-tailed Kite
Tropical Kingbird
Tropical Mockingbird
Turkey Vulture
Variable Seedeater
White-crowned Parrot
Yellow Warbler
Yellow-bellied Elenia
Yellow-faced Grassquit
Yellow-headed Caracara
__________________
The Neotropic bird Project website
http://www.neotropicbirdproject.com/index.html
BryanP is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 5th October 2017, 20:16   #853
Richard Prior
Halfway up an Alp

 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: MANIGOD
Posts: 1,714
No apples on our tree this year Brenda, snow at blossom time put paid to them so my freezer is full of courgettes and beans instead!
Brambling numbers vary hugely here from one winter to the next as do Siskin, a flock of which I saw fly through a nearby pass 2 days ago.
Two Dunnocks visited the garden yesterday, I could've sworn I'd seen the species already( they breed just a couple of kms up the mountain), but they weren't on the list yet. So

[/b]81 Dunnock
__________________
"Thought I saw an eagle
But it might have been a vulture
I never could decide" Leonard Cohen
Richard Prior is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 6th October 2017, 06:36   #854
Richard Prior
Halfway up an Alp

 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: MANIGOD
Posts: 1,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
I can't believe I've only just found this thread, can I play?

We are in an apartment on the Quebradas river in the Pérez Zeledón canton of Costa Rica for September to January. The apt has a lovely view of the property along with the Quebradas river running along the bottom of the garden. We've also set up a banana feeder on the edge of the balcony which is starting to bring in the birds.

Unfortunately the landlord, like a lot of avid gardeners in Central America has planted mostly exotic ornamental shrubs and trees. The result is there is little incentive for birds to stop in the property. Few local gardeners seem to want native fruiting trees.
Now that the local birds have discovered the feeder though I'm starting to see more of them moving through.
As a thrilling side note the Speckled Tanagers have started visiting the feeder. Always a big deal as we are just at the very low end of their altitude range.


So far, 48 species seen in the yard (including flyovers) asterisk shows species that have actually visited the feeder. Mostly we are seeing the usual suspects but it's all fun nonetheless.
Hope to add more as we go on.

Cheers
Bryan
a
Welcome aboard Bryan, that is 48 species I have yet to see!
__________________
"Thought I saw an eagle
But it might have been a vulture
I never could decide" Leonard Cohen
Richard Prior is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 6th October 2017, 10:17   #855
halftwo
Wird Batcher
 
halftwo's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Silkstone Common
Posts: 8,255
Blog Entries: 1
Welcome, Bryan.

Takes me back to my Costa Rica visit nearly ten years since - I must return.

One or two that I need for sure in that list - definitely the rail.
__________________
Known to follow bird waves.
halftwo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 6th October 2017, 19:50   #856
BryanP
Registered User
 
BryanP's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Costa Rica
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Prior View Post
Welcome aboard Bryan, that is 48 species I have yet to see!
Thanks Richard, Ditto for me on the European species, I have a bit of catching up to do there me thinks.
Cheers,
Bryan
__________________
The Neotropic bird Project website
http://www.neotropicbirdproject.com/index.html
BryanP is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 6th October 2017, 19:56   #857
BryanP
Registered User
 
BryanP's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Costa Rica
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by halftwo View Post
Welcome, Bryan.

Takes me back to my Costa Rica visit nearly ten years since - I must return.

One or two that I need for sure in that list - definitely the rail.
Thanks Halftwo, Yup, the wood rail is a good one to see or more likely hear since that is usually how you know they are in your patch. How can we not with that loud, complex and funny call. Always puts a smile on my face.

Cheers,
Bryan
__________________
The Neotropic bird Project website
http://www.neotropicbirdproject.com/index.html
BryanP is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Saturday 7th October 2017, 14:11   #858
Richard Prior
Halfway up an Alp

 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: MANIGOD
Posts: 1,714
Winter draws on

First proper frost overnight so it's back to windscreen scraping (or covering) ..
All the pumpkin and butternut leaves looked a bit sick as a result so we decided to harvest the lot (the pumpkins, not the leaves) I'm glad we did because as we walked out of the house a

82 Citril Finch


flew low over our heads, so they are on the move already. Later a flock of 7 Siskins paused in the leylandii 'tree' for a minute. Still a few Blackcaps, Chiffchaffs and Black Redstarts tarrying though so I'm looking out for any exotic fellow travellers (Yellow-browed warbler would be nice....).
__________________
"Thought I saw an eagle
But it might have been a vulture
I never could decide" Leonard Cohen
Richard Prior is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Saturday 7th October 2017, 17:12   #859
halftwo
Wird Batcher
 
halftwo's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Silkstone Common
Posts: 8,255
Blog Entries: 1
An unexpected addition this afternoon under heavy skies:

69: Snipe:

two over in typical fashion.
__________________
Known to follow bird waves.
halftwo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 8th October 2017, 11:40   #860
halftwo
Wird Batcher
 
halftwo's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Silkstone Common
Posts: 8,255
Blog Entries: 1
Bryan: I've just been checking my World List - and see that Grey Cowled Wood-Rail is a synonym of Grey-necked - so I have seen that one!
__________________
Known to follow bird waves.
halftwo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 8th October 2017, 17:11   #861
halftwo
Wird Batcher
 
halftwo's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Silkstone Common
Posts: 8,255
Blog Entries: 1
An inevitable addition today:

70: Redwing

A singleton over.

As for Citril Finch - I've only ever seen one.
__________________
Known to follow bird waves.

Last edited by halftwo : Sunday 8th October 2017 at 17:14.
halftwo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 8th October 2017, 18:32   #862
Mark Harper
World Birder
 
Mark Harper's Avatar

 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Whitburn, UK
Posts: 799
A great day adding 8 species to my year list encouraged me to add it up and I got to 91. Highlights this year have been:-

Scaup
Velvet Scoter
Sooty Shearwater
Pomarine Skua
Black Tern
Turtle Dove

It could be higher if I spent more time seawatching from home, but Whitburn Obs is 300 metres closer to the sea and doesn't involve having to view through a gap in houses.
Mark Harper is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 8th October 2017, 20:34   #863
BryanP
Registered User
 
BryanP's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Costa Rica
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by halftwo View Post
Bryan: I've just been checking my World List - and see that Grey Cowled Wood-Rail is a synonym of Grey-necked - so I have seen that one!
Hi Halftwo,

Please allow me a bit of a thread drift. I think it might be connected to Garden lists.

The various authorities (Cornell and A.O.U. so far) have deemed that the “Gray-necked Wood Rail” is now two species, the “Gray-cowled Wood Rail” and the “Russet-naped Wood Rail”. To my knowledge this change has only occurred in the past year. That means you've seen one or maybe even both!

http://checklist.aou.org/nacc/propos....html#2016-A-6
https://neotropical.birds.cornell.ed...cwor1/overview

My local authorities say the area we are in has the Gray-cowled Wood Rail. The two species apparently don't overlap much.

Please don't think I am putting myself forward as an expert in Taxonomy, I am most certainly not, especially since genetics is now getting involved. I merely am reporting what the various authorities are now saying.
Its all very confusing for me as stuff keeps falling out the back of my brain all the time and these changes don't help matters.

For fun, here are my current paintings for the two (new) species. The painting of the individual on the branch by the water is the Gray-cowled Wood Rail, the other the Russet-naped Wood Rail. Very subtle differences in markings but there nonetheless.
Cheers,
Bryan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0717.JPG
Views:	17
Size:	591.7 KB
ID:	642414  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0718.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	580.9 KB
ID:	642415  
__________________
The Neotropic bird Project website
http://www.neotropicbirdproject.com/index.html
BryanP is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 8th October 2017, 22:24   #864
BryanP
Registered User
 
BryanP's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Costa Rica
Posts: 53
Rufous-breasted Wren

Rufous-breasted Wren,

A new garden species and a lifer for me, noice!

I had been hearing its call for days now and could not place it, Troglodytidae family, yes but the species had stumped me. Got some good views of it too.
__________________
The Neotropic bird Project website
http://www.neotropicbirdproject.com/index.html
BryanP is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 9th October 2017, 06:41   #865
halftwo
Wird Batcher
 
halftwo's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Silkstone Common
Posts: 8,255
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
Hi Halftwo,

Please allow me a bit of a thread drift. I think it might be connected to Garden lists.

The various authorities (Cornell and A.O.U. so far) have deemed that the “Gray-necked Wood Rail” is now two species, the “Gray-cowled Wood Rail” and the “Russet-naped Wood Rail”. To my knowledge this change has only occurred in the past year. That means you've seen one or maybe even both!

http://checklist.aou.org/nacc/propos....html#2016-A-6
https://neotropical.birds.cornell.ed...cwor1/overview

My local authorities say the area we are in has the Gray-cowled Wood Rail. The two species apparently don't overlap much.

Please don't think I am putting myself forward as an expert in Taxonomy, I am most certainly not, especially since genetics is now getting involved. I merely am reporting what the various authorities are now saying.
Its all very confusing for me as stuff keeps falling out the back of my brain all the time and these changes don't help matters.

For fun, here are my current paintings for the two (new) species. The painting of the individual on the branch by the water is the Gray-cowled Wood Rail, the other the Russet-naped Wood Rail. Very subtle differences in markings but there nonetheless.
Cheers,
Bryan
I'll have to dig out my notebooks to see where I saw mine - I only saw one I'm sure...watch this space. Thanks for the update, Bryan. Lovely paintings btw.
__________________
Known to follow bird waves.
halftwo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 9th October 2017, 12:25   #866
BrendaA
BrendaW

 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Pyrenees France
Posts: 248
To Richard Prior , Lovely warm sunny daytime weather but last couple nights very cold . Several birds by back door this morning looking as if asking for food and warmth so I have filled one of the feeders on the feeder pole in middle of garden by trees and a bush.
Had to stop having feeders by the patio which is right by my back door last year because of sudden viewings of mice and one time a rat I intensely dislike both !
BrendaA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 9th October 2017, 17:07   #867
SueO
Registered User
 
SueO's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 3,095
36. Orange-crowned Warbler
SueO is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 10th October 2017, 12:38   #868
Warixenjalka
Registered User
 
Warixenjalka's Avatar

 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Finland
Posts: 771
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
Hi Halftwo,

Please allow me a bit of a thread drift. I think it might be connected to Garden lists.

The various authorities (Cornell and A.O.U. so far) have deemed that the “Gray-necked Wood Rail” is now two species, the “Gray-cowled Wood Rail” and the “Russet-naped Wood Rail”. To my knowledge this change has only occurred in the past year. That means you've seen one or maybe even both!

http://checklist.aou.org/nacc/propos....html#2016-A-6
https://neotropical.birds.cornell.ed...cwor1/overview

My local authorities say the area we are in has the Gray-cowled Wood Rail. The two species apparently don't overlap much.

Please don't think I am putting myself forward as an expert in Taxonomy, I am most certainly not, especially since genetics is now getting involved. I merely am reporting what the various authorities are now saying.
Its all very confusing for me as stuff keeps falling out the back of my brain all the time and these changes don't help matters.

For fun, here are my current paintings for the two (new) species. The painting of the individual on the branch by the water is the Gray-cowled Wood Rail, the other the Russet-naped Wood Rail. Very subtle differences in markings but there nonetheless.
Cheers,
Bryan
Wow! What a paintings! You can put those for any bird book... at least if it Birds of Tropic American or something like that.

I have seen 4 for yours gardenticks (but not in my garden).

No winter here yet, but I put one feeder on garden. Magpies found it first. Then Great and Blue Tits, Tree Sparrows and Hooded Crows. Also the Crossbills are still around (not the feeder).
But otherwise: it rains, it rains and it rains...
__________________
Last lifer: Great Northern Diver (#411), WP ticks: 300, Finnish ticks: 240, Eco ticks: 181

https://www.flickr.com/photos/warixenjalka/sets/
Warixenjalka is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 11th October 2017, 01:08   #869
BryanP
Registered User
 
BryanP's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Costa Rica
Posts: 53
Northern Water Thrush

Northern Water Thrush, in the Hibiscus bushes today, first one this season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warixenjalka View Post
Wow! What a paintings! You can put those for any bird book... at least if it Birds of Tropic American or something like that.
Hello Warixenjalka
Thanks for the comment, in fact that is what we are doing, a field guide of the endemics of Central America.
The Wood Rails of course are not endemics. Those two paintings belong to a different set called a 101commons of Central America.

Speaking of Wood Rails, our resident Rail surprised us by wandering right up to our open patio door then after having a peep inside as casual as you please sauntered back across the lawn. Great fun.

Cheers,
Bryan
__________________
The Neotropic bird Project website
http://www.neotropicbirdproject.com/index.html
BryanP is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 12th October 2017, 12:39   #870
halftwo
Wird Batcher
 
halftwo's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Silkstone Common
Posts: 8,255
Blog Entries: 1
I thought I was hallucinating this morning when three large finches flew past my window - quite low and close. I thought, "hmm Hawfinches - not possible."

I've just been out and seen another overhead a km away !
Now I'm convinced!!

71: HAWFINCH !!!!!!!

I can't believe it myself so if you don't I won't blame you !
Haven't seen one in years!
__________________
Known to follow bird waves.
halftwo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 12th October 2017, 14:39   #871
KenM
Registered User
 
KenM's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: London
Posts: 9,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by halftwo View Post
I thought I was hallucinating this morning when three large finches flew past my window - quite low and close. I thought, "hmm Hawfinches - not possible."

I've just been out and seen another overhead a km away !
Now I'm convinced!!

71: HAWFINCH !!!!!!!

I can't believe it myself so if you don't I won't blame you !
Haven't seen one in years!
Well done H!...my favourite, a couple were seen locally (several miles away) on Monday, then on Tuesday I had a highly probable (fore-shortened and in silhouette bounce over the roof), am still awaiting......
KenM is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 12th October 2017, 14:43   #872
KenM
Registered User
 
KenM's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: London
Posts: 9,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Prior View Post
First proper frost overnight so it's back to windscreen scraping (or covering) ..
All the pumpkin and butternut leaves looked a bit sick as a result so we decided to harvest the lot (the pumpkins, not the leaves) I'm glad we did because as we walked out of the house a

82 Citril Finch


flew low over our heads, so they are on the move already. Later a flock of 7 Siskins paused in the leylandii 'tree' for a minute. Still a few Blackcaps, Chiffchaffs and Black Redstarts tarrying though so I'm looking out for any exotic fellow travellers (Yellow-browed warbler would be nice....).
Only ever seen one of the above...certainly not from the house though! However I can vouch for "exotic fellow travellers" as being most agreeable.
KenM is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 12th October 2017, 16:33   #873
Richard Prior
Halfway up an Alp

 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: MANIGOD
Posts: 1,714
No need to rub it in Ken!
Nothing exotic so far this week here though a hybrid Lesser/Greater Spotted Eagle from Jos’ neck of the woods passed by the local ( well, 45kms away) migration viewpoint yesterday.
Did see 2 Red billed Choughs just 5 minutes’ drive though so here’s hoping.....
__________________
"Thought I saw an eagle
But it might have been a vulture
I never could decide" Leonard Cohen
Richard Prior is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 12th October 2017, 17:29   #874
KenM
Registered User
 
KenM's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: London
Posts: 9,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Prior View Post
No need to rub it in Ken!
Nothing exotic so far this week here
Yes but...I was hoping to make the hat-trick for consecutive years Richard.
Think I've missed that window now, unless there's a change of wind direction and another surge of Phylloscs.from the N/East. Was hoping to make 80 species this year, don't think that's do-able this time, the price you pay for taking time out, still mustn't grumble....but then "H" is 3 Hawfinches up on me.
KenM is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 13th October 2017, 11:33   #875
Warixenjalka
Registered User
 
Warixenjalka's Avatar

 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Finland
Posts: 771
#57. Coal Tit
__________________
Last lifer: Great Northern Diver (#411), WP ticks: 300, Finnish ticks: 240, Eco ticks: 181

https://www.flickr.com/photos/warixenjalka/sets/
Warixenjalka is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Reply


Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Garden/Yard List 2016 halftwo Birds & Birding 906 Sunday 1st January 2017 22:16
Garden / Yard List 2015 halftwo Birds & Birding 1215 Friday 1st January 2016 16:49
Garden (Yard) List 2014 halftwo Birds & Birding 783 Monday 5th January 2015 12:56
Garden (Yard) List 2012 Larry Lade Birds & Birding 1098 Thursday 3rd January 2013 18:47
How big is your GARDEN/YARD LIST? Katy Penland Lists 163 Thursday 8th May 2008 18:02

{googleads}

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Help support BirdForum

Page generated in 0.19294691 seconds with 38 queries
All times are GMT. The time now is 07:27.