• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can anyone recommend a safe totally free deleted photo finder for compact flash card? (1 Viewer)

fender

Hello all,

I am wanting to download safe software to recover some deleted photo's from a compact flash card(raw files) and it would be great if i could find a free full version. Can someone out there recommend any please?

I am using an apple iMac OSX system version 10.8

Regards,

Phil.

If you're computer savvy enough that you're happy to deal with a program from the command line, I can recommend test disk. It's available for pretty much any operating system (apart from Windows 8, it seems).

I've successfully used it to rescue a number of photos from a corrupt CF card that wouldn't yield to any other means.

There are pretty decent instructions for your case, ie `undeleting' files from a drive formatted in some version of the fat file system. It's completely free and won't ask you to pay after it's told you that it can see lots of files...

Good luck,

Andrea

Hi Andrea,

Thank you for that...I will certainly check it out. I'm not massively computer savvy,but ok in general usage...so hope that will be good enough to see me through!

Phil.

I haven't tried test disk, I shall certainly have a look.

I use RescuePRO Deluxe which came free with a Sandisk card a while ago. I found it recovered better than others I tried. (There was one file that RescuePRO was the only programme to recover.)
Usually if the disc is accessible the information is recoverable, as long as newer files haven't overwritten it. The problem is (as I recently found out with a Pentax K-x) some systems overwrite everything with a succession of zeros, so nothing is recoverable.

By the way, my computer slot sometimes doesn't want to read some SD cards. I presume it is just either a dirty contact or the size, shape and/or thickness of some cards doesn't fully match the contacts in the computer. Usually removing and reseating solves the problem.

I don't know if RescuePRO is available to download. If not, and you want to try it, I'll willingly email you a copy. I must confess though that I haven't checked to see whether there is a Mac version on board. I assume there is.

Dave.

I haven't tried test disk, I shall certainly have a look.

I use RescuePRO Deluxe which came free with a Sandisk card a while ago. I found it recovered better than others I tried. (There was one file that RescuePRO was the only programme to recover.)
Usually if the disc is accessible the information is recoverable, as long as newer files haven't overwritten it. The problem is (as I recently found out with a Pentax K-x) some systems overwrite everything with a succession of zeros, so nothing is recoverable.

By the way, my computer slot sometimes doesn't want to read some SD cards. I presume it is just either a dirty contact or the size, shape and/or thickness of some cards doesn't fully match the contacts in the computer. Usually removing and reseating solves the problem.

I don't know if RescuePRO is available to download. If not, and you want to try it, I'll willingly email you a copy. I must confess though that I haven't checked to see whether there is a Mac version on board. I assume there is.

Dave.

Hi Dave,

Many thanks for your input and your very kind offer.I would like a copy to try please.

Best regards,

Phil.

Phil,

I've hit a slight problem - I can't find the product key, though I seem to have a copy of the files. I can't seem to get the product key from within the programme itself. I'll have another look tomorrow. The annoying thing is I had it not too long ago when I loaded it onto the laptop.

You can download a trial version of #5.2.3.3 from http://www.lc-tech.com/rescuepro/ I've just downloaded and tried the latest Windows version and it's working fine - producing the same files as my older version. I didn't look to see what the limit on its use is - time or number of occasions used? Its front end has been neatened up a little.

I'll keep in touch,

Dave.

Phil,

I still haven't found the disc. It should be in the big box, but it isn't. I'm a beggar for getting something out and the just filing it on a shelf or behind something. You'd be amazed how many things I find hidden somewhere that I had forgotten all about. I have, for instance, just found two 8gb SD cards - so the search for the RescuePRO disc hasn't been all bad.

Dave.

I recently lost all my images from a holiday and used IMAGE RECALL, it worked fine

I have the disc if you PM me your address I will send it to you, if you send it back once finished.

Cheers
Dave

Phil,

You don't have one, then suddenly two Daves come along together! I haven't found the disc I was looking for, but I have found version 3.2 of RescuePRO complete with product key. To be honest it looks the same as version 4. Mac files are onboard. I think, as Dave has said, it would be easier to send you a hard copy.

I have to say all the programmes I have looked at so far have had "untidy" front ends one way or another - I wonder if IMAGE RECALL might be bit neater.

PM me with your address. At the rate you are going you'll be able to recover files you didn't even know you had!

Dave.

Phil,

You don't have one, then suddenly two Daves come along together! I haven't found the disc I was looking for, but I have found version 3.2 of RescuePRO complete with product key. To be honest it looks the same as version 4. Mac files are onboard. I think, as Dave has said, it would be easier to send you a hard copy.

I have to say all the programmes I have looked at so far have had "untidy" front ends one way or another - I wonder if IMAGE RECALL might be bit neater.

PM me with your address. At the rate you are going you'll be able to recover files you didn't even know you had!

Dave.

Hi Dave,
Many thanks for all the trouble you have gone to. I would appreciate your kind offer and have sent you a P. M.
As you say I may find untold lost photo's!

Regards, Phil.

Thanks everyone.
Due to my Mac incompatibility problems when trying the various options kindly supplied,I have now downloaded a trial version of "CardRaider" which works well and has found a lot of my previously formatted images.

Regards,

Phil.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back