• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What not to feed (1 Viewer)

snapper

Hi all I would like to start a thread on what not to feed birds or if feeding something like bread or rice how it should be served eg bread moist, rice boiled & bacon rhine NO etc.

Regards Snapper.

snapper said:
Hi all I would like to start a thread on what not to feed birds or if feeding something like bread or rice how it should be served eg bread moist, rice boiled & bacon rhine NO etc.

Regards Snapper.
Hi Snapper,
I chose the following tips on the RSPB.

Dry bread can choke the young.
Bread should always be soaked in water and brown is better.Easy for the young to ingest.Not too nutritional if only fed bread.

Same goes with sultanas and raisons excellent food(always soaked)and can be fed to the young.

No salty foods at all.

Milk can not be digested by the birds although mild grated cheese is fine.

Desiccated coconut can swell and cause death.

Saturated fats are a valuable source of food but not unsaturated oils as they can smear over the feathers and destroy the waterproof and insulating qualities.

Always cook rice .

Tinned dog meat can be useful when worms etc are in short supply( dried dog meal should again always be soaked if used)

Oats (dry only)
Cereals (dry)

Suet cakes.Fat cakes.(Although The RSPB say no fat at this time of year)
Meal worms.

Apples,Pears,Grapes,Bananas,strawberries and most fruits they enjoy are great.(Chopped)

A variety of seeds,Millet,Sunflower(any),Nyger,Peanuts(ground at this time of
year as they can choke the young).
Uncooked pastry(tiny rolls)

Lots lots more but I hope this has been a start Snapper.

Mary Evelyn said:
Hi Mick ,I usually soak overnight,then I can pop them out before I leave for work.

I do too. I have a permanent tub full either "on soak" or drained and being used. I do a fresh one every other evening (my hamsters and rats have some too, as well as a couple of large handfuls that go out on the bird tables. (If you let them swell right up, they are yummy to eat yourself too - and if you leave them till the next day, they smell just like white wine.... ;) )

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back