• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (12 Viewers)

2014 Red Kite Survey

Although this survey is primarily dealing with our own north east kites, we are keen to learn of any kites with pink left-wing tags in your area. Wing tags 1 and 2 defected in the early years to join Yorkshire kites at Harewood, where they have bred very successfully with their partners. This is simply a request for any significant sightings of our kites in both the core area near Harrogate and in East Pocklington where we know they have a splinter group.

2014 Red Kite Breeding Survey

Friends of Red Kites (FoRK) are planning a survey of breeding red kites in the north east of England next spring and early summer. The aim of the survey is to establish the number of breeding pairs of red kites in Durham and Northumberland, including the areas of North and South Tyneside and Cleveland. FoRK already have a very strong monitoring team but would like to enlist the help of additional volunteers to carry out a more comprehensive survey.

Ideally, the survey will involve visiting potential breeding sites at least twice a month from the beginning of February to the end of June, although once evidence of breeding has been confirmed, visits will reduce significantly, and be made from a distance, to reduce disturbance.

Where possible, surveyors will be allocated a location close to their home patch.

Survey guidance notes and training, which will include a field visit to a local territory, will be available for those who require it.

Contact Ken Sanderson, mobile 07779413471, or email [email protected] for more information and to register your interest.

If you are interested but feel you cannot commit to the full survey then please still contact us, as any help, however much, will be greatly appreciated.

Ken Sanderson

Chairman & Kite Officer
www.friendsofredkites.org.uk

Happy new year guys & gals. A grim afternoon birding today but was pleasant enough early on and and racked up a decent tally of 73 for the day. Peregrine and Egyptian Goose were the highlights.
Hope you all have a great year and look forward to more good reading on here

Hi all

Happy new year to one and all.

Just wondering if someone could point me in the right direction for a website or Blog that covers sightings in the Wheldrake/North Duffield Carrs/Bubwith area. Just wondering if there are many Whoopers etc in the area.

Many thanks.

John

p.s. - For info - Smew still at Pugneys on Fishing lake by river.

Hi all

Happy new year to one and all.

Just wondering if someone could point me in the right direction for a website or Blog that covers sightings in the Wheldrake/North Duffield Carrs/Bubwith area. Just wondering if there are many Whoopers etc in the area.

Many thanks.

John

p.s. - For info - Smew still at Pugneys on Fishing lake by river.

There have been 35+ lately at North Duffield Carrs. here are a few blogs for the LDV area

http://ldvnnr.blogspot.co.uk/
http://awbirder.blogspot.co.uk/
http://zingsldv.blogspot.co.uk/
http://andykizbirding.blogspot.co.uk/ (my blog)

Andy Walker's blog is a good un. Mentioned above as awbirder.

But it will be full of photos from the far east for the foreseeable.There aren't really any websites atm, but you could get on the York ornithology club email list to get sightings, but not many people out birding atm

Last edited:
Hi Andy, Chris & Ollie

Many thanks for the info and comments. I will keep an eye on the blogs and more importantly I will get out to those sites soon and will let you know what I see.

Cheers

John

It's the birdrace on Sunday, so will be out all day both days, probably a lot in the valley. Can let you know what's about, but having been fairly dry and warm most of winter, hopes aren't high. There are plenty of ruff, dunlin, whoopers, pintail etc around though, and a fair few pink-feet being reported from a few places.

Hi Andy, Chris & Ollie

Many thanks for the info and comments. I will keep an eye on the blogs and more importantly I will get out to those sites soon and will let you know what I see.

Cheers

John

Ldv

Best wishes for the new year to one and all. B :)

One mystery bird not sure what it is and frustrating not to be able to get closer Thought Kestrel at first but not sure anyone got any ideas?

And for John Bullfinch have a look at my blog http://zingsldv.blogspot.co.uk/

Bewicks are on the way down last seen south of Durham.

Attachments

• noidea.jpg
    noidea.jpg
    689.6 KB · Views: 170
  • bull1.jpg
    bull1.jpg
    836.4 KB · Views: 73
The latest thinking appears to confirm that Thayer's/Kumlien's/Iceland are all one species with Kumlien's being far more numerous and with a much wider range in world terms then Iceland.

An alternative idea is that Kumlien's is hybrid between Thayer's (as a full species) and Iceland (as a full species). Accordingly the hybrid would be commoner then the parent species.

Any link to gen on this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back