• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Need help with identification please (1 Viewer)

Tfarm

I had to get this bird away from a cat yesterday. Does anyone know what it is? Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_2529.jpg
    IMG_2529.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 273
Hi TFarm,

A warm welcome to BirdForum from all the Moderators and Admin. I am afraid I can't help with the id of your bird but I am sure someone will be along soon who can.

I agree with the albino but I dont see any marks that could give a clue of what it is.
It looks a bit pinkish could it be a Cardinal.

Think it's a leucistic Crossbill. I don't have a clue which on it can be though. Lack of pink eyes rule out a true albino bird. The mandibles are crossed at the tip in an enlarged image.

Thanks everyone. I have tried and tried to figure out what this little guy is. I should mention too that I'm in Minnesota if that makes a difference. Also, apparently the morning before I found him with the cat, my neighbor was outside getting the paper before it was light out and he said a white bird had dropped down from the sky right to his feet. He thought it was injured so he was going to get a box to put it in but when he got back it was gone. He said that this is the same bird. Right before the cat had gotten it, it had apparently been on the ground close to my feet because it flew up right next to me and the cat got it in mid-air. Could it be a domesticated bird of any sort, like maybe a dove or pigeon? It doesn't seem to have the proper beak though to be that. It doesn't seem to be afraid of people. It's so hard to tell, but it would be nice to figure it out. He's got a round backend like a chicken does.
Anyways, all help is greatly appreciated!

Good eye Hal I hadnt seen that. And yeah I guess it must be that. But I think it almost imposible to ID it having what ever it has. Because I dont know anything about leucictic or albino stuff

What about an albino of a Japanese quail or Chinese quail? It also reminds me of a quail and those two species are kept as pets commonly and also used in quail farming (to produce quails eggs and meat). Both species in their domesticated forms have a lot of colour variants, including all-white birds.

It's definately a type of quail. You can tell by the nostril and the bill. I'd say, judging by the size, probably a Chinese Painted Quail. They do have a habit of rocketting upwards and then plummetting down when they're disturbed, which fits in with the 'dropping out of the sky' thing with this one.

Thanks everyone! I am so impressed with you all being so helpful!
Yes, I actually have the bird still. He is not a good flyer, and he definately does not perch. He seems to be a ground type of bird. I thought it would be incredibly dangerous for him to be left on his own especially since he seems to be attracted to people and the fact that he doesn't fly well and because he is white I don't think he'd make it long with all of the cats and hawks around here. He seems totally healthy though and he is eating a drinking well. I've given him some game bird food and some of my cage birds food. He eats both. I do have a farm here and may explain why he was attracted to our property. I'll have my son send another picture of his back side so you can see the shape of him better. I'm pretty convinced it is a quail of some sort too. I'm guessing either someone let it loose out here or he's an escapee from someone elses home.
Thanks again for your help!

I stand corrected! Not paying enough attention to detail. The additional info from Tfarm certainly points to a Quail. Size, bill & head shape fit both Japanese and Chinese Quail. Still think the bill is crossed, but that deformity can occur in any bird species. Waiting for another picture of the whole bird.

Here is another picture of him. This time showing his body better.
What do you all think?
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_2538(02).jpg
    IMG_2538(02).jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 133
I was wrong again and I dont know anything about quail exept about the California Quail that live around here, but I guess that doesnt realy help here. So I'll just enjoy reading this thread and learn some more. But I wont interfear with the conversation. But I still think that Hal is right about that its not an albino because of the eye that isn't red.

In looking at some game bird websites, I think it might be a partridge. I've emailed the editor of a game bird magazine with the photos attached to see if they can offer any help. Will post the reply if I get one. Barbara

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back