• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What do you take birdwacthing (1 Viewer)

Bins; sometimes my camera; sometimes my scope (if doing the Nade); insect repellent (for mangroves and other wetlands); bush hat to keep off the sun; field guide if going further afield into unfamiliar territory.

Well, I'm the kind that likes to have anything possible by hand. I usually wear one of those fisherman's jackets with thousand of pockets, all of them full with stuff, most of them used only twice a year: magnifying glass, pocket knife, GPS, pens, lens cleaners, field guide, bush hat, gloves, MP3 with birds voices, spare batteries, alcohol gel, insects repellent, camera accesories, etc. And for watching I put in the car everything and decide on the field what will I need.

Depends on the time of year...
I always carry bins, scope, a small compact camera, a compass, a fieldguide, a mobile phone, a notebook and something to drink. Normally I also bring a rain jacket.
In the winter I add extra socks, gloves, a seat pad (or whatever it's called in English...) and of course: chocolate.

Bins, scope (Nikon ED50 or ED82), camera, lightweight rucsac with snacks, drink, fieldguide and a Fulton typhoon folding umbrella.

Bins,scope,i phone with birdguide app,fieldguide,orange squash,pen,notebook,kagool,gloves & hat (oct-apr)
when she is old enough i will also be taking my daughter,she has been once with me but cried all the time,saying that,she was only 2 months old!! start them young i say,although probably not that young

I thought the interesting question was "who", not "what"?

(feeling very silly tonight)
Niels

bins, camera, logbook (for me a notebook is something you write schoolwork in), a drink, i only occasionaly take a field guide since I know most birds by heart, don't have a scope :(

A positive mental attitude. That good bird is going to be out there ...

Various items from the lists above (although invariably forget something - it's been bins, tripod connecting plate, sandwiches, milk for the tea, coat etc on too many occasions...). Always remember the basic clothes requirements though - not really into 'really natural birding' tbh ....

Always bins, sometimes scope and tripod, notebook, pencils, hip flask of home made sloe gin, camera and 300mm lens.
Jono

Down west, rain jacket ( Event ), rain trouser ( Montane, smaller than an apple ), bird guid ( Svensson ), Bino, camcorder.
Leather hiking boots ( with water protection snoe seal threated ).
In winter ski, avelanche equipment, warm close ( polartec, softshell ).
Backpack ( Mammut Exterm Light 25 L ).

Generally binoculars, camera, spare batteries, bottle of water and appropriate clothing for the weather, plus some kind of snack if its going to be a full day. Also generally have my satchel of assorted random bits and bobs which I never end up using - several small tripods, notebook, sketchbook, assorted pens and pencils, but they're all in there anyway.

I often take a bird book but frequently don't end up using it - my two portable ones are completely opposite to each other in that one has lots of comparative illustrations, plumage diagrams and annotations but misses out a lot of birds and is in an order which makes it hard to find thigns quickly. The other is comprehensive and has an order that I find is easy to search through but its photographic and isn't as useful for visual identification unless the photo(s) happen to exactly match the bird. I'm starting to increasingly take niether and just ID from my photos when I get home.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back