• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Camargue accommodation (1 Viewer)

jforgham

Birding for fun
Any suggestions on cheap hotel or hostel accommodation in The Camargue. Would rather be within walking distance of Etang de Vaccares rather than Arles or Ste Marie de la Mer. Any suggestions gratefully recieved.
I am flying out this Sunday and staying until Wednesday, just a couple of days walking and birding.
Cheers,
Jono

Jono, in my experience, species around the Camargue tend to be spread out a bit. I would find it difficult without a car.

One place I used to stay was:
http://www.leflamantrose.camargue.fr/
it is a pretty average place but birder friendly and nice location.

Some of the best birding around the Etang de Vaccares can be on the north end.

I definitely recommend a car to get to la digue, les beaux and Crau etc

http://www.auberges-de-jeunesse.com/en/auberges/france/sud-est/saintes-maries-de-la-mer

I stayed there a few times in the mid/late 90s.
At the time it was a nice and friendly place, and a great central base camp location. Don't be misled by the address, its not in the city not even in the outskirts. Some productive ponds swamps and marshes where just down the road.
To get around a car is a bonus, but I also did a lot of stuff by bike (that you could rent for little money at the hostel). In that case be aware of the Mistral.

But as I mentioned, that was 15 years ago and things change ......

Hi there,
Thanks for the tips. I had a great time and stayed at Le Flamant Rose. I have eaten here before but not stayed. Perfect for the duration with a bus to St Marie de la Mer at 8.15 from just outside. I then walked all the way to Etang Vaccares via Mas de Cacherel and on to Le Paty de la Trinitie before returning to Albaron. A good 20 mile wander in wonderful conditions. Hardly anyone about and great views of good birds, including this red kite.
best regards,
Jono

Attachments

• DSC_00410027.JPG
    DSC_00410027.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 60
  • DSC_00240015.JPG
    DSC_00240015.JPG
    122.4 KB · Views: 58
Hi there,
Thanks for the tips. I had a great time and stayed at Le Flamant Rose. I have eaten here before but not stayed. Perfect for the duration with a bus to St Marie de la Mer at 8.15 from just outside. I then walked all the way to Etang Vaccares via Mas de Cacherel and on to Le Paty de la Trinitie before returning to Albaron. A good 20 mile wander in wonderful conditions. Hardly anyone about and great views of good birds, including this red kite.
best regards,
Jono

How much was it per night, and what else did you see? If red kite was the highlight you could have gone to Newbury!

How much was it per night, and what else did you see? If red kite was the highlight you could have gone to Newbury!

Hi there,
several lark sp: crested, thekla, possible calandra. 1 unexpected roller, purple heron, 1 aquatic warbler over, sard warb, moustached warb, fan tailed warb (as they should be known) 1 curlew (a 1st for me in The Camargue!) 1 coypu, loads of darter sp, dingy skipper, loads of clouded yellows, wall browns and graylings, humming bird h.m. red underwing, a bright green lizard effort etc
Great time. Hotel cost 44 euro per night for a double room with a shower in the cupboard. Usual for a 2 star French hotel. Good evening meal with 12 oysters, regional beef dish with local rice and veg, bottle of Costieres de Nime wine, pastis and a coffee for 38 euros.
Just put up the kite photo because I liked it. Good walking, good birding and a really pleasant break.
Flight from Luton to Nimes for less than 40 quid. Flight time 1hr 40 mins.
best regards,
Jono

Oh, has Thekla Lark now reached the Camargue? I thought they were only found in the southwest near Cauve.

André

2 theklas in fields west of the Parc Ornithologique. They popped into view as I was scoping 5 wood sandpipers. These were the small lakes around Astoiun and Cabanes de Gambon (I think I have the latter name correct)
First time I have had these here but didn't realise they were a rarity.
regards,
Jono

This would be a mega rarity. I haven't found any records of Thekla Lark in the Camargue on the net, so if you are positive about the id, you should send your record to the French rarity comitee (Comité d'Homologation National). Their mail address is [email protected]

André

PS: Very nice photos on your blog. Brings back memories of hot days in the Camargue....

Thanks for that Andre,
Am as sure as possible can be as I had seen many cresteds around that particular day and these two were different. Relatively distant scope views only, nevertheless
Shall file a report with map references and as many details as I can recall.
Have come across many of both species on trips to Iberian peninsula so do have some experience of both.
Cheers,
Jono

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back