• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss 10x40 Dialyt (ClassiC's??) (1 Viewer)

DHB

I saw some bino's that appeared to be 10x40 ClassiC's but all they said were 10x40 Dialyt. The serial number was 1557988 , don't know if this is a low or high number. Zeiss is contacting Germany for info but am trying to nail down if these are phase-coated. Any info is appreciated.
Thanks

henry link said:
Phase-coated Dialyts should have a "P" after the "T*", I think either on the diopter adjustment or the focusing knob.

I am thinking these are old, there is no markings except 10x40B. No P or T*.
They look just like the ClassiC's sold by Cabela's. I guess I'll just let these pass.
Dave

DHB said:
I am thinking these are old, there is no markings except 10x40B. No P or T*.
They look just like the ClassiC's sold by Cabela's. I guess I'll just let these pass.

Let them pass. The T*-coating dates back to 1980 or so, phase-correction was introduced in the 80's. Any roof prism without phase coating isn't worth buying nowadays.

I'll never understand why Leica and Zeiss stopped making porros in favour of roof prisms before phase-correction became available. The old porros made in the 1960's still run circles around roofs without P-coatings.

Hermann

Hermann said:
I'll never understand why Leica and Zeiss stopped making porros in favour of roof prisms before phase-correction became available. The old porros made in the 1960's still run circles around roofs without P-coatings.

Hermann

It was the most amazing example of a mediocre product succeeding in the marketplace purely on the basis of brand status. The first expensive binocular I bought was a Zeiss 7X42 Dialyt in 1985. I couldn't understand why it was so unsharp compared to my cheap Nikon porro, so I returned it for a Trinovid 8X40, which turned out to be even worse.

Hermann said:
Let them pass. The T*-coating dates back to 1980 or so, phase-correction was introduced in the 80's. Any roof prism without phase coating isn't worth buying nowadays.

Hermann

Hermann,

Good advice as the old roof glasses were inferior.

I think it was a marketing strategy: obsolete all the Porros with a "modern" looking binocular. I use a Leitz Binuxit for clear days and favor a Zeiss 7x50 for astronomical observations.

Happy observing,
Arthur Pinewood

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back