• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Adobe users must pay for security upgrades (1 Viewer)

Andrew Rowlands

Wales
The company has released patches for four of its software suites, but users concerned about the vulnerabilities in these products will be required to purchase upgrades of each product except for one.
CNet news.

<Apologies if this has already been posted anywhere else>

Andrew
I use Photoshop CS3 and have Mcafee Internet Security on my machine, running Windows 7, would you reckon I need to get these upgrades? I'd sooner not pay out if I can.

I am guessing here, but wouldn't it be possible to configure a firewall to not let any adobe product contact the internet? If the code does not get to the program it cannot be executed ...

Niels

Now there's a thought that I'd not had Niels, obviously all I've got to do is deny CS3 access to the internet. Cheers for that B :)

Update.

General comment:
I think the main problem currently for using any un-patched software with publicly known vulnerabilities is that of browsing and hitting on a page with an auto-loading 'exploit kit' triggered via something like a hidden iframe in the page or a hijacked advert loading from a remote server. If the exploit finds anything it can manipulate (like Java from within IE - even if the Java plugin is DISABLED!), from that point on, who knows ...

Mono, you're in danger of looking like a fanboi or an Adobe shareholder ;)
2) Report Timeline
============================

2011-09-20 Vulnerability reported to Adobe
2012-03-20 Publication of this advisory (180 days after reporting to the vendor)
How long did it take for Adobe to decide to fix this - and they chose the max profit route ... thankfully, their outlook has changed since then.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back