• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Capturing video and sound (1 Viewer)

Brian Bullough

DIGIDOPE
Can anyone help , I have a CCTV camera connected to the computer, looking onto the nest of a Swift , but for some reason I can't seem to get sound through the computer but I can when viewed through the TV, The question do I need to change some settings in the computer to enable sound to be heard and recorded ,I do have sound on the computer playing videos etc, its a bit frustrating to hear them screaming at each other but not be able to record it .
I have tried various capture programmes with the setting line in/ mic in
Brian

Hi Brian,
Sounds like you are missing an audio codec on your computer that you have on your tv.
Not at all unusual.
3 questions.
Make of CCTV cam
Media player that you are using on your computer
Computer OS

You could also try VLC Media Player, plays pretty much everything "straight out of the box"

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html

Hi Mono, I am using a dazzle USB connection which I thought was the problem , so I bought a USB converter, but still no sound.
The camera only has 1 white (audio) and 1 yellow (video) plugs

Hi GrahameNZ
CCTV is a Halina, it's a small basic unit but works well from its own infra red light source.
Capture is DEBUT and Picassa , I did have VLC but replaced it with GOM (which has no capture) , but it did not work via VLC either
System is XP
Brian

Brian, you need to establish if the camera and/or audio input on the pc are working correctly.

Plug an audio device such as an mp3 player into the "Audio in" socket on the pc, then adjust the faders on the "Recording" setting on the mixer - bear in mind the the default setting on the mixer is set to "Playback". The recording settings can be found under Options/Properties menu of the speaker icon

It's quite possible that the line/mic input is muted or the fader is down. Assuming the mixer is correctly set but you still cant get hear any signal then the problem will be with the sound card. If you do hear sound then the camera is probably at fault

Last edited:
Thanks kentbloke,
Yes the audio side of the actual computer is working fine but the camera has the sort of plugs that go into a TV etc: therefore need to be converted to USB connection for a PC,it's not like a webcam that just connects direct via USB .
Brian

Last edited:
Brian, sorry I'm not clear about the "TV" connectors as you call them, do you mean a Scart plug like this? Why do you say it needs to be converted to USB?

Last edited:
I assume the audio it is a single phono/rca type plug, if this goes into the usb convertor and into the computer via usb then you will need to look into the settings of the usb device. If it goes, via an adapter, into the line socket then you need to open up the volume controls and look at the faders etc, including the recording ones. It is often the case that any the software thinks you are recording the audio input and hence stops sending it direct to the outputs to avoid a feedback loop or phasing.

Hi Brian,
Just to clear things up.
The "USB converter" that you mention is an analogue to digital converter ? Yes ?
Not just a straight conector that takes the rca plugs in one end and has a usb plug on the other.
The signal out of the cctv will be analogue, most likely composite anlogue.
This needs to be converted to digital for the computer to "play" with it.
Something along the lines of this.

http://www.homesecuritystore.com/p-...=10054&zmam=55691497&zmas=1&zmac=4&zmap=AD02A

Note this one doesn't work with XPSP3, so is no doubt useless to you, was just a quick Google to find what I was talking about.

Thanks Guys ,but I am getting slightly confused now, this is the write up for the device I bought and image. Just to add it captures the video OK but nothing will capture the sound.
Brian
"
This USB 2.0 video/audio capture DVD maker adapter can capture high-quality video and audio file directly through USB 2.0 interface without any need of a sound card. You can capture from any Spycam/VHS/Mini-DV camcorders/TV/ etc.This digital video converter makes it fun and easy for users to connect a camcorder, VCR, TV, or DVD to a PC and work with video. This captures full quality, full screen video, perfect for making DVDs, video CDs, or converting video files to transfer to your favorite mobile video device. More than just watching the video on the laptop or desktop PC, you can also record the full motion video or take a snapshot/stillframe image from different devices such as the DV camcorder, VCR/DVD player, satellite receiver, video monitoring with your existing security surveillance systems or play video games on PC for various video entertainments.It preserves old and treasured analog footage by digitizing it for posterity. Everything is included to get you up and running immediately! Simply plug it into a PC via USB, attach the analog source and let the powerful software do the hard work. It enables editing of digital files, creating Hollywood-style movies including professional transitions and titles, and sharing of CDs, video CDs and DVDs with family and friends.More than just watching the video on the laptop or desktop PC, you can also record the full motion video or take a snapshot/stillframe image from different devices such as the DV camcorder, VCR/DVD player, satellite receiver, video monitoring with your existing security surveillance systems or play video games on PC for various video entertainments.You can host video conferencing with live audio and video feeds from camcorder or any video camera to your computer via this unit and broadcast through Internet connection.The installation is very simple with the professional video editing software that provides the best editing function for you. Video studio is video-editing your movies as fun as shooting them. The video studio movie wizard helps novice users finish stylish movies in only three steps. Share finished projects on DVD, tape, the web, and mobile devices. High-speed rendering and real-time performance mean less time waiting and more time creating.

Works with Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7 "

Attachments

• USB.jpg
    USB.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 39
Brian, I see now!

Two things to try, uninstall then reinstall the software from the supplied disc, this will sometimes sort out a no-go device. If still no joy, try an install on a different machine. If it still doesn't work I'd suggest it's a faulty device?

Good luck

A third thing to try is a different audio/video source. Do you have a camcorder or digital camera that has a pair (or three) of RCA plugs as an output, plug that into the device and see what you get.

Obviously dont want to do while online... Security software can inhibit installation of various hard/soft ware drivers. Isolate yourself from the rest of world so to speak and reinstall with security software setup disabled. Then re-enable security.

Had to install USB to RS-232 port converter driver, didnt work at first, finally able to install after doing.
Probably last soul on earth using RS-232 for anything.

Hi Brian,
Confusion not needed :)
The blurb says,
"attach the analog source and let the powerful software do the hard work."
So no problems there, and you are getting vid.

If the software that came with the cam is installed properly.......and a reinstall is always a usefull, fixit.
The blurb says,
"Video studio is video-editing your movies"
So you have tried this Video studio software ??
And that doesn't work...?

It's just a matter of elimination,
If Kentblokes suggestions at #5 are fine, as you say.
The input device is the right kind. Yes
The software is installed fine and working. ?
If Mono at #12 is working..............

Onwards

Thanks for all the advice

I tried to install the device on my netbook using windows update
it came up with a OEM driver and it worked with sound although it was not working correctly giving an echo or delay so it's a bit frustrating , I thought it would be a simple case of plugging in and recording when the birds came together .
The Dazzle device DVC 90 I could not seem to get drivers for up to now.
So it looks like its an issue with drivers, will try a re=install
Two snapshots from the camera its not the best of quality but the video is much better.
one from tonight of a Swift sitting in the corner and one from last year of it preening .
Brian

Attachments

• snapshot-001.jpg
    snapshot-001.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 35
  • snapshot-5.jpg
    snapshot-5.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 37
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back