• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Panti for Rail Babbler (1 Viewer)

bobf

I've read many times that Panti Forest is perhaps the best spot for Rail Babbler. Can anyone comment on how viable it is for Rail Babbler in September? I could visit then on the front or back of a Sulawesi trip. I spent three days there in March a few years ago, and heard just one, and birders I talked to said they were not very active yet, but I don't know if the "active period" would extend as far as September. Any advice would be appreciated.

Bob

No reason why not Bob - most Sundaic birds are active year-round, early September isprobably your best bet, as if you have limited time, end of September you have a higher chance of afternoon rains as the monsoon season begins.

Panti is an excellent site for Rail Babbler, and given time you should see them, though there are other places where they can be seen just as easily, ie Taman Negara, but given you're probably going through Singapore to Sulawesi then definitely go for Panti.

Good luck...

James

Thank you, James.

I gather its not difficult to rent a car in Singapore and drive it to Malaysia?

And a vaguely related question, regarding the book "Birds of Wallacea". I noted you said (last year, on a different thread) there would be a replacement in 2013. Is this still on schedule, and do you know when in 2103?

Thanks,

Bob

Thank you, James.

I gather its not difficult to rent a car in Singapore and drive it to Malaysia?

And a vaguely related question, regarding the book "Birds of Wallacea". I noted you said (last year, on a different thread) there would be a replacement in 2013. Is this still on schedule, and do you know when in 2103?

Thanks,

Bob

Hi Bob,

Renting a vehicle should be ok, but you need to confirm with the car hire company first, as they need it registered to go across the border.

The new field guide for Wallacea culd be out by the end of 2013 but I doubt beforehand, unless I manage to find extra time to finish writing it before then - you will probably have to attempt to get your hands on an expensive second-hand copy of Coates and Bishop for your Sulawesi trip...

James

The new field guide for Wallacea culd be out by the end of 2013 but I doubt beforehand, unless I manage to find extra time to finish writing it before then - you will probably have to attempt to get your hands on an expensive second-hand copy of Coates and Bishop for your Sulawesi trip...

James

Hi James,

Will look forward to that, its a shame the Coates & Bishop guide is so scarce and that those wishing/able to sell it tend to take advantage so much!

Is it going to be illustrated by drawings or photos?

Cheers,

Hi James,

Will look forward to that, its a shame the Coates & Bishop guide is so scarce and that those wishing/able to sell it tend to take advantage so much!

Is it going to be illustrated by drawings or photos?

Cheers,

It will be a fully illustrated field guide. Coates and Bishop is now extremely hard to get hold of, especially below $150!

Regards,

James

By way of follow-up, Panti worked well for us. We took a bus across the border from Singapore and rented a car in Johor Bahru, which worked out well except that we had a lot of trouble navigating to the car hire place on the return (due to one way street in the wrong direction.) I think it would have been a lot easier and not much more expensive to rent at Chiangi. We found a cooperative Rail Babbler on our first full day and thus had three leisurely days after. Also had 4 Broadbill spp, a nice flock of White-crowned Hornbills, etc. Even on week days, crews of photographers blaring playback from the road were present.

Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back