• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding Apps for Android (1 Viewer)

I've recently released blueBill Mobile for Android:

http://bluebill.tidalwave.it/mobile/

It initially focuses on registering observations, checklists suitable for the Western Palearctic Ecozone. Support for media is being added. It's free and open source, please provide feedback about bugs and how you'd like to see it improved.

Thanks.

That looks really good, I've just got myself an Android phone in preference to an iPhone and it's good to see what looks like a high quality app available for Android.

In the US, Android phones are outselling iPhones, so hopefully we'll see more and more quality apps being developed for it.

Didn't know that Android was so popular in the US (although still being outsold 2:1 in the rest of the world). Can only be good news for both Android and iPhone - nothing like a healthy bit of competition to drive innovation and customer satisfaction.

I've recently released blueBill Mobile for Android:

http://bluebill.tidalwave.it/mobile/

It initially focuses on registering observations, checklists suitable for the Western Palearctic Ecozone. Support for media is being added. It's free and open source, please provide feedback about bugs and how you'd like to see it improved.

Thanks.

Hey, I downloaded your app, I have one suggestion that I think would make it much more user-friendly. I was searching for Eider the other day and it wouldn't find it using "Eider". I had to type in "Common..." before it found it - just thought it might have been really helpful for the search to pull content back from any part of what you're looking for rather than just from the start of the name.

Didn't know that Android was so popular in the US (although still being outsold 2:1 in the rest of the world). Can only be good news for both Android and iPhone - nothing like a healthy bit of competition to drive innovation and customer satisfaction.

Its only a blip in iPhone sales, Apple is expected to make another release of the iPhone in the next month or two featuring an updated operating system version 4. Its unlikely even a large company like Google will be able to match the popularity of this device?

Never say never when it comes to technology I say. After all, Nokia had the original stranglehold on the mobile phone market, Sony came from nowhere to conquer the video game market, only for a little company called Microsoft to come along and challenge that, and then Nintendo sweeps all before it with technology that's simple but dated.

Never say never when it comes to technology I say. After all, Nokia had the original stranglehold on the mobile phone market, Sony came from nowhere to conquer the video game market, only for a little company called Microsoft to come along and challenge that, and then Nintendo sweeps all before it with technology that's simple but dated.

Didn't say never just thought it unlikely.

Hey, I downloaded your app, I have one suggestion that I think would make it much more user-friendly. I was searching for Eider the other day and it wouldn't find it using "Eider". I had to type in "Common..." before it found it - just thought it might have been really helpful for the search to pull content back from any part of what you're looking for rather than just from the start of the name.

Thanks for suggestions, I wish I receive more of them. Have you looked at the preferences? There are four ways to choose how to filter names, and they are shortly explained here:

http://bluebill.tidalwave.it/mobile/getting-started/

Actually, if you pick "Exact substring", "eider" should match the selection. The default name filter, instead, picks the initial. Maybe I could add a quick self-explaining pop up in the application itself.

For what concerns Android, there are many business analysis that forecast a surpass of Android over iPhone in the next few years; in any case, high chances are that they will be the two most important player on the market. Unfortunately Android is still less common in Europe (glad to see that there has been at least an italian here :) but I think it will catch up fast the USA trends.

Thanks for trying it.

*** FIXED: Ok, now I looked better the flag colors - and the related info - and understood that soupdragon10 is irish. Sorry for the mistake - I'm still in search of an italian user...

Last edited:
Actually, if you pick "Exact substring", "eider" should match the selection. The default name filter, instead, picks the initial. Maybe I could add a quick self-explaining pop up in the application itself.

Thanks for this I had a lot of glare on my screen so wasn't able to navigate through all the options at the time, but found it now.

Rather than just for recording...is there an AP like Ipod has for sounds and such or one in the works? jim

BTW... do you think that white-on-black is good for glare or black-on-white would be better? I think I can implement a user preference to pick it.

I don't think think I've noticed too much difference to be honest, when the sun is really strong then it can be difficult to see what's on the screen no matter what colour it is.

great app, can't wait to try it with media to help id birds. feels really intuitive to use and should help me keep better records of what i see when wandering.

Will this work on the android e-pad

Theoretically all Android devices should be compatible (there are o.s. version issues, but I'm targetting 1.5, and earlier than it there is less than 1% of devices). Of course, a *Pad could be very different than a phone because of the larger screen, and blueBill Mobile could be less user friendly... or more, who knows?

I plan to buy an Android *Pad within the summer, as soon as some new models come out and I realize what they offer. Until them, if somebody tries blueBill Mobile with a *Pad, please let me know. Eventually the user interface can be adapted.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back