• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Current Porro market? (1 Viewer)

FrankD

Gentleman,

After recently purchasing a very inexpensive Celestron Ultima DX for the measely sum of $99 and finding the view quite extraordinary for the price I am now left with the desire to explore more of the porro prism market. I have owned the Nikon 8x32 SE, 8x30 and 10x35 E2, 7x35 E, the Leupold Yosemite 6 and 8x30, Cascade 8x42 and the Nikon Action and Action EX 7x35s. I just read an interesting discussion on some of the Swift models and a comparison with the Nikon SE series. What other little porro gems are out there that deserve some exploration?

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Orion Optics (www.telescope.com) still sells some "birding" porros under their own name. I have no idea the quality, but people seem to like their large bins for star gazing.

The Swift Audubon 820ED 8.5x44 isn't inexpensive, but the optics are pretty nice if the eye cups fit your face.

I've had long term exposure to a very inexpensive pair of Bushnell Falcons - dreadful. The lenses seem to degrade over the years and go fuzzy.

One of the problems I have with many of today's porros is that that bridge piece which holds the eyepieces/oculars usually seems to be made out of some engineered plastic and it flexes. Since this is the piece that moves in and out to focus I would think one would want it to be as rigid as possible.

One of the problems I have with many of today's porros is that that bridge piece which holds the eyepieces/oculars usually seems to be made out of some engineered plastic and it flexes. Since this is the piece that moves in and out to focus I would think one would want it to be as rigid as possible.

CMB,

Thank you for the reply. I will look into your suggestions.

..and for what it is worth the Celestrons eyepiece bridge does not flex as I put pressure on the eyepieces with the bridge of my nose.

Nikon SE 12x50
Nikon Action Extreme 12x50
Fujinon FMT-SX 10x50
Pentax PCF WP 10x50
Nikon Action Ex 10x50
Nikon SE 10x42
Fujinon BFL 8x42
Pentax PCF WP II 8x40
Nikon Action Ex 8x40
Nikon SE 8x32
Oberwerk Mariner 7x50
William Optic 7x50 ED
Nikon ProStar 7x50
Vixen Foresta 7x50
Leupold Yesmite 6x30

edz

Ed,

Thank you for the suggestions. Out of the list you posted both the Nikon AE 8x40 and the Pentax WP II 8x40 are models I have been keeping an eye on. I had a chance to look through the Nikon when I recently purchased on of the Swift Ultralite models. I have seen the Pentax on sale recently as well. I will have to keep both in mind as I look to try out another model.

Tero,

True, but you know me. I thoroughly enjoy trying out new models.

Frank,

Since you did the Swift Ultralight Roof, you might try their porro Ultralight models. I have thought that the Vixen Forresta 832 porro showed promise, but I think ther could be more fovthere. I have wondered about some of the full size Vixen porros too.

Steve,

Thank you for the suggestions. Actually, I did take a peek through the Ultralite porro when I looked through the Ultralite roof. Sadly, that particular unit was poorly collimated so it was difficult for me to make a determination on the image quality. I have seen very little mentioned on the Vixen models and have never actually seen any in person. I will have to do some digging and see what I can come up with.

....and I think it is about time for a Celestron Ultima DX porro review as well. The more I use these bins the more I come to appreciate their particular attributes.

vintage porros

Frank,

The comment about construction quality of most modern porros is one that is both true and of concern. Your lack of flex in the Celestrons is an exception.

No question that the 3D views of a quality porro trump the normal views of roof prisms for me. Wide FOV bins with minimal distracting optical characteristics also are high on my list.

As a result I explored vintage porros and ended up very satisfied with a couple that I've kept. A superb '83-'87 vintage Leupold Gold Ring 9x35 IF featuring 5 element 3 group eyepieces which the factory overhauled for me to like new condition is one. The other is a ~60's vintage bulky uniconstruction Binolux 7x35 with 11 degree FOV and oversized prisms that provide a dramatic wide 3D view with only minor curvature at the edges.

Bottom line is that in your quest to explore porros, don't rule out vintage pieces in great condition.

Best!

Amongst recently purchased New porros I like the Yukon 7x50 WA CF Futura, the Baigish 10x40 CF magnesium body model, the Fujon FMTR 6x30, the Nikon 9x25 Prostaff semi-reverse porro, and I clearly got a better 12x50 Baigish CF than the one reviewed lated on and almost half the weight.

I have a dozen or so ultra-wides and find the best to be the Korvette 13 degree FOV 7x35, the Jason UW Statesman 7x50 w/11 degree FOV fully multicoated and super bright (both very large), and the Nikon 8x30E recently picked up as NOS for $165 including shipping. I have a pair of the aforementioned Binolux ultra wides and they are well made with a very nice view.

In larger sizes I recently got a pair of Bausch& Lomb Discover CF 10x50s that weigh nearly 3 pounds but have great views.

Probably too big to meet your specs, but optically, the best porro I've had experience with was a Docter Nobilem 12x50BGA. Tack sharp view and very neutral color, comfortable to hold and not absurdly heavy. They are sometimes offered on Ebay. A splendid value imho for a few hundred dollars.

I have a dozen or so ultra-wides and find the best to be the Korvette 13 degree FOV 7x35, the Jason UW Statesman 7x50 w/11 degree FOV fully multicoated and super bright (both very large), and the Nikon 8x30E recently picked up as NOS for $165 including shipping. I have a pair of the aforementioned Binolux ultra wides and they are well made with a very nice view.

With recurrent references to build and optics quality of the vintage Jason Statesman bins, I finally managed to secure a pair of #138 7x35s with 11.5 degree FOV. It'll be interesting to compare these to the Binolux bins already in hand.

Gentleman,

Thank you for the suggestions/responses. I will be keeping my eye out for some of these models. Ebay is tough now though. It seems many folks have realized the amazing optical quality that some of these porros provide and are now willing to pay good price for them.

Still, I have patience....;-)

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back