• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advice wanted on bins choice (1 Viewer)

Hi everyone,

I am going to choose some new bins. I live a long way from any bino shops so need to narrow choice down before the long drive, especially as two nearest shops don't sell same choices - so I need to work out which one to visit.

Firstly, I wear glasses

Secondly, budget is around £250 max

Thirdly, I have briefly tried two of the three I'm looking at, but not side by side (like I said, the shop that sells one, doesn't sell the other)

As a professional photographer I carry a lot of camera equipment so I don't want anything too big or heavy as having my camera around my neck with a long lens is often more than enough on it's own.

So, my choices are narrowed to:
Used Leica Ultravid 10x25 BCA - reasoning, will fit pocket rather than around neck and not get in way of camera, but can I really use a 25mm bino for bird watching? (price £229)

Minox 8x42 BL (price £259)

RSPB 8.5x42 WPG (tried these yesturday and was really impressed but wished I could have compared to the Minox) (price £239)

Would be happy to receive opinions on the above and alternative suggestions if you have bins that you really rate!

Thanks in advance for help.

Hello and welcome to the forum. I have not tried the binoculars you mention, but really like my 8 x 42 Vortex Vipers, which meet the requirements you list. They have been very well received by most reviewers. Here are some links to reviews and surveys that I have found useful in researching binoculars:

http://www.birdwatching.com/optics.html
There are a number of excellent articles on this page. In particular, check out the Midpriced Binocular Roundup link with the accompanying chart, as well as the "Binocular Picks for Every Price Range" chart.

http://www.eagleoptics.com/index.asp?pid=2735
http://www.eagleoptics.com/buying_guide.asp?cid=4
The above are links to Eagle Optics (a very well respected American optics dealer) recommendations and staff picks for birding binoculars in various price ranges.

There are also various sites with out of date information. I would take their recommendations with a grain of salt because they do not include consideration of more recent models, but they have some good info:

http://www.betterviewdesired.com/index.php

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/Publications/LivingBird/Winter2005/Age_Binos.html

Cheers,
Jim

Choices, choices and so many opinions will be forthcoming.

Firstly take your time, get it right and you'll be hooked, and if not you still have glasses that will last a lifetime. Continue your research and list the favourites

See if you can make it to somewhere you can compare in the field (even £250) is a lot to spend so again take your time.

Review carefully what you anticipate you will do with them, frequency of use, type of activity etc. Whats good for a out and out birder may not be so good for someone who's primary interest is walking with nature observing a secondary activity.

If you are going for 'pocketability' avoid higher magnification, eg 10x25..... generallly poorer light gathering, narrower field of view (thus difficulty in finding object) and often shorter relief for glasses wearers.

Unless lucky with a bargain, the premium brands are out of reach because I would avoid the 25mm or under bins.

I would suggest the 36mm objective with a 7 or 8x mag from the likes of Vortex, Pentax, Minox, Nikon.. why, because the smaller size makes them much more 'carriable' (sounds like a bushism) and these brands have models within your price range.

I have swarovski EL's, Leica BN's, RSPB?, Helios AM6's, and they all serve a purpose, but I am currently looking for a pair of 7/8x36 to put in my glovebox, and have just come back from checking out the vortex and Minox range of stuff and both are impressive.

In short there are plenty of bins within your budget that will ensure you dont regret buying them.

The size depends on many things. If it is not heavy the 8x42mm is often a good compromise of all the needs, though many 8x32 models are pretty good. I go by weight also, and if the 42mm is too heavy will not buy it. I do not care much for harnesses.

The 10x25 will be a bit light to hold steady. In fact I prefer my 10x to be 42mm with good balance and a steady two hand grip.

Look at some 8x32 models. Not sure what Opricron offers there.
maybe
http://www.microglobe.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?pName=opticron-8x32-verano-bga-pc-binocular
I have no info on that store, link is just to give you the info.

Last edited:
I have a Baush & Lomb Custom Compact 7x26 that I use when I am out with a lot of stuff and still want/need a binocular. This has now morphed into the current Bushnell Custom Elite 7x26. I haven't had a new Elite version in my hands. My B&L has first rate optics, certainly good enough for a general purpose birding binocular. Their problem is that they are a little small to be comfortable for extended viewing sessions. They are also a tad bit too large for a shirt pocket, unless you wear something like a fishing or a safari shirt. However you might well have some sort of bag/jacket/vest arrangement that you pack your gear in, so size may not be a big concern to you. It is likely just a bit short on eye relief, at least the B&L. I do not know what the Elite version may be like. Many are put off by 7x, thinking that somehow that is not "enough". For what it is worth, to my eyes, my 7x26 has a brighter (in daylight) image and better resolution than my Monarch 8x42, and as such I can see detail better with the B&L than the Monarch. I also have a Swift Eaglet 7x36 roof that is a good compact, 21 oz., bright, sharp, and clear binocular that seems better to me than any other mid price range 32mm family of binocular I have used.

I agree with Tero about 10x compacts. They can be a beggar to hold steady, and even and a shaky premimum image can be rendered useless. My personal philosophy is to avoid less than about 3.0 mm exit pupil. Less than that, placement of the binocular in relation to your eyes can also become problematic.

I agree with others about ultra-compacts (10 x 25, 8 x.20) which I find too fiddly for day-in and day-out use. If weight's a concern go for an 8 (or 10, though I prefer 8s) x 32 rather than a "full size" (8 x 42)

I think I may have found a used bargain! Has anyone tried the Opticron 10x42 DBA?

Blimey! That for £250? That would seem very very cheap (RRP being £550ish I think) so I would be cautious.

If it is optically fine go for it!

I'd listen to SteveC regarding the Bushnell Custom Compacts. I have the older 6x25 Bushnells' which are very bright in low light situations. They are not water proof, but I have used them for over 20 yrs in hunting seasons. giving them only rudiment care. They never fogged on the "bad" weather days.

Be advised though, that because of their compact size, they have limited use in extended viewing. For extended viewing I would want something no smaller than a 6x30 or 8x32 bin.

I tried the RSPB 8.5x42 WPG too and, like you, I was impressed, but since the eye relief, 17mm, was just right for me, I put down the good impression they made to that and didn't really consider them seriously, especially as they were (supposedly) lower quality than the BG, which I was also looking at. I'll have another look at them. You might also consider the Imagic BGA PC.ASF T Oasis 8X42, (halfway down the page) which have now been discontinued in favour of the new SEs, but look like a bargain at £250, if you're okay with 20mm eye relief. If you're open to the idea of 8x32, the Pentax DCF SE WP look identical to the 8x32 Imagic BGA PC ASF T 8x32. Again a bargain at under £250 and they have the same eye relief as the WPG.

Michael

Last edited:
I got a chance to try the WPG 8x42 today. Once again the first impression was good and the view relaxing, but when I compared the details against my HR WP 8x42, it was obvious the WPG was lacking punch. The contrast just wasn't there. But it's asking a lot of any roof to match a porro at the same price level - let alone one as good as the HR WP. Still, I personally will pass on the WPG.

Michael

Well,

I have been doing extensive research on the web, looking for new binoculars for myself and my wife, at about the $500 range and also keep coming back to the Vortex Viper 8 x 42s. I have been using a great tool to evaluate choices, available at www.optics4birding.com, which lets you weight different elements, and produces an numerical score. I plan to buy two pairs of these bins in a couple weeks, when we travel to Colorado, where I can find a store that stocks them. I just felt I need to touch them before spending this much, but I am very confident that they will be right for us. They also have an outstanding warranty, all needed repairs done free of charge for the life of the binocular. Hope this helps.

Veagle

It was between Viper and Pentax DCF models for me too. Never did get to see the Vipers, though. I had a trade, so limited my options a bit. I think the price difference here, Pentax a little more, means nothing. The Vipers will be fine. Check all parts and in field, there have been issues with Vortex quality control.

Last edited:
A second here for 8x42 Vortex Vipers,Ive had mine for about 6 months great bright optics and ive had no quality issues so far.
Got mine online for sherwoods for about £260 very good service.
Even if you did have a quality issue they have one of the best Warranty on the market.

Cheers

Darryl

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back