• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Derbyshire birding (1 Viewer)

mooskibaby

My local patch is in Derbyshire and it's great. It's Ogston Reservoir. Ogston is a great place to go birdwatching because it can become home to wetland birds, birds that live in woods etc. Due to it being situated at a reservoir, Ogston isn't visited by a lot of people. This is good because this way no one can come and destroy the habitat at the bird hides and the rare birds don't be disturbed.
The people at Ogston are very nice, and you will be soon welcomed. :clap:
I have another birding patch that i sometimes go to, but it's not my local one. It's called Carsington Water. It seems to draw in all of the rare birds, and all the passing migrants, but not many people seem to go there for the birds, they just go and walk around the lake.
Well what i want to no is, does anyone have a patch near me so that we can share information.
It would be great to hear from some of you on here. Thanks. o:)

Anna, 32 minutes is not that long, so be patient. I'm sure people will have something to say to you. Like now. :bounce:

Ogston & Carsington - Grrrrrr!

You've some great recent gull records from there recently: Glauc, Iceland, Caspian, Ring-billed - all of which would be lifers for me, but alas, although i only live a stone's throw away, i dont drive and have to rely on my trusty bicycle. Both are a little too far away for me unfortunately!

Hopefully, i will be able to persuade someone to give me a lift there early in the new year and my one new years resolution is to finally pass my driving test - sixth time lucky!!!

atb & hny

Mike

Hi Jimmymac.
Yep Ogston is a great place to go Jimmy. Well if you are going to go there a lot, i would recommend joining the bird club.
Would you like instructions to get there?
There is a public hide to go to, but i would recommend joining for a small fee every year and get into more hides, where you have a better view.
Hope to hear from you soon Jimmy.

Wish you look Mike, hope you pass your driving test soon. Once you have you can go wherever you want. I wish i had that freedom, i have a few years left yet until i can start to drive, seen as i am only 15.

Last edited:
find remembrances

mooskibaby said:
Doesn't anyone have anything to say to me? :(

Yes. Give my regards to the old place. Born in Chesterfield, I used to spend a lot of time there before I moved down south and then here in Spain. I even used to walk the whole distance from my house when I was a kid! Don't know how many miles that is but I was knackered by the time I got there I know that.

Happy new year

Happy new year to you as well Stephen.
I bet where you are in Spain, you get a lot of rare birds fly in, don't you. Do you get any birds from the UK visiting Spain at all?

Hi Anna, good to hear you enjoy 'Oggy' and Carsington. Used to be a regular there myself for the past 15 years, but up sticks this year. Miss the place a little (well, the gulls anyway!).

Next time your there, say hello to the regulars along the west bank in the freezing cold conditions at dusk waiting for the gulls from me!

Hi James thanks for that. It seems like a lot of people seem to have at leats visited Ogston or Carsington at some point in there life.
Which people do you know at Ogston then?

Hi Anna

Thanks for the response. If you feel it makes a difference, then any details you've got on the club would be great. Are them members' hides the best vantage points?

Thanks

JimmyMac

Bb

mooskibaby said:
Happy new year to you as well Stephen.
I bet where you are in Spain, you get a lot of rare birds fly in, don't you. Do you get any birds from the UK visiting Spain at all?

Well I haven't been anle to check their passports but, yes, many of the blackcaps, chaffinches, robins, thrushes etc that we get in winter are from the UK (amngst other places). Rare birds of course, the best places being along the coast.

LLobregat Delta next to Barcelona airport is one of the best (you can check it out on my website if you like) but this is partly because its so well observed.

Best wishes

Hi Anna,
My mate and I will be at both Carsington and Ogston on 1 Jan after visiting Attenborough. I made the same trip last year and picked up a good number of birds on the first day of the year, especially with the gulls at Ogston. Also picked up Pectoral Sandpiper there last year, so agree Ogston can be a great place, and with it only being 20 mins from Derby easy to get to.

I noticed you have a Panda as you photo, spending a lot of time in China I have been to both of the Panda reserves there, amazing animals.

Cheers
Nick

mooskibaby said:
Hi James thanks for that. It seems like a lot of people seem to have at leats visited Ogston or Carsington at some point in there life.
Which people do you know at Ogston then?

The usual daily crowd such as Richard, Brian & Mike etc. Though I tended to visit in the late afterenoon to join Richard Lowe & John Bradley along the west bank for the gull roost.

Jimmymac said:
Hi Anna

Thanks for the response. If you feel it makes a difference, then any details you've got on the club would be great. Are them members' hides the best vantage points?

Thanks

JimmyMac

www.ogstonbirdclub.co.uk
Go on the website, you can have a look at where it is situated and how much it costs to join - if that is what you are thinking. There is also pictures on there of birds seen and a recent bird species list. I would say that if you want to go there a lot, then you need to join because the hides that are for members are a lot better than the one for the public. I hope to here from you soon. Have a look on the website and tell me what you think. Thanks. ;)

Stephen C said:
Well I haven't been anle to check their passports but, yes, many of the blackcaps, chaffinches, robins, thrushes etc that we get in winter are from the UK (amngst other places). Rare birds of course, the best places being along the coast.

LLobregat Delta next to Barcelona airport is one of the best (you can check it out on my website if you like) but this is partly because its so well observed.

Best wishes

ChinaBirds said:
Hi Anna,
My mate and I will be at both Carsington and Ogston on 1 Jan after visiting Attenborough. I made the same trip last year and picked up a good number of birds on the first day of the year, especially with the gulls at Ogston. Also picked up Pectoral Sandpiper there last year, so agree Ogston can be a great place, and with it only being 20 mins from Derby easy to get to.

I noticed you have a Panda as you photo, spending a lot of time in China I have been to both of the Panda reserves there, amazing animals.

Cheers
Nick

So are you a member of Carsington or Ogston then Nick?
Yea the pectoral sandpiper was there this year i think but sadly i didn't see it.
So are you going to Ogston to go to the public hide?

James Eaton said:
The usual daily crowd such as Richard, Brian & Mike etc. Though I tended to visit in the late afterenoon to join Richard Lowe & John Bradley along the west bank for the gull roost.

Do you mean Mike Conroy?

mooskibaby said:
So are you a member of Carsington or Ogston then Nick?
Yea the pectoral sandpiper was there this year i think but sadly i didn't see it.
So are you going to Ogston to go to the public hide?

Am afraid not Anna, I have not signed up yet to either Carsington or Ogston. Will probably be on the road at Ogston checking out the gull roost

Cheers
Nick

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back