• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

All I got was a lousy silhouette (1 Viewer)

helenol

Went to Watlington Hill today, one of the best places to watch the red kites.

I saw one, just about, with my bins!

However, driving back, there they all were. All close to the houses in Ibstone (a small village). I counted at least 8 of them. They were flying so low, I could hear them calling to each other (at least I think that's what they were doing). Driving on to Stokenchurch, and there they were again, close to the houses! I think these kites are becoming street wise, and closing in on the towns/villages now that winter is arriving. Arrived home, and there they were again! Two of them, although not flying as low.

I managed to get one measly shot of one, albeit a silhouette :-(

Going to have to study the appropriate settings on my camera for my next trip watching the kites I guess....

Attachments

• pa190004redkite.jpg
    pa190004redkite.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 269
Helen,

Were i am in Somerset, you don't get Red Kites, but we have lots of Buzzards, how about i swop a Buzzard for one of your Red Kites, i have never seen one as yet, to have 8 close by is something else.

Nice shot as well.

I actually quite the photo Helen, who says we always have to have all the gory detail for it to be a good shot? Well done.

Nice one Helen I too think you are very lucky to be able to see them on a regular basis. Next year I am coming down to RAF Halton in Bucks for a reunion dinner so I am hopeful I may be able to see one at long last.

Bob, if you get time, have a drive around Stokenchurch, in the direction of Ibstone and Christimas Common. Believe me, there will be enough there to last you a life time!

helenol,

I hope you don't mind but I downloaded your picture and ajusted the Histogram in Jasc Paint Shop Pro. I then added a little unsharp mask. I'm sure others here could do better but I was just curious. The ajustments only took about a minute.

Bill

Attachments

• apa190004redkite.jpg
    apa190004redkite.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 162
Cheers Helen for that just had a quick shufti at the map, and found Stokenchurch see it is not far from High wycombe where we normally stay in the Holiday Inn as it is an easy to find rendevous being close to the motorway.

Thank you Helen, having been on the website I see that I will not be that far away. Just hope the weather smiles on me, the fact that it is over a hundred miles due South of here gives me hope. Although we have had a really good run of good weather this year, they even thought about a hose pipe ban. It is nice at present have been watching my lone buzzard circling high up mobbed by corvids.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back