• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Scillonian Pelagic - Advice (1 Viewer)

MrB

North-West Birder
Sorry if this has been covered before, but I can't find it.
I've just booked for my first Pelagic on the Scillonian from Penzance.
The only pelagics I've done before are the short RSPB trips from Bridlington. For this much longer one, what advice would you give me? For instance:
- do I take my 'scope?
- is it worth taking food and drink, or are the facilities OK?
- where's the best place to be?
etc

Thanks

I wouldnt bother taking your scope, to much chance of losing it over board on the scillonian imo, I have only been on scillonian crossing to scillies, food and drink wise if i was you, I would take food and have it on deck, you dont want to go downstairs for something and miss a mega.
All scillonian 3 trips are UNPREDICTABLE, so just be ready for anything weather wise, and the same goes with the state of the sea too.
As for best place, i will let others who have done the previous pelagics help you out on that.

Good Luck for the trip!

I reckon the stern area of the ship is the best place to hang around as you get a wider field of view and many birds follow in the ship's wake, especially large shearwaters and petrels. The ship goes round in a circle when chumming takes place. Some people, unfortunately, do their own chumming!8-P

Agree with all the advice above:
- no point taking a scope
- best viewing point is the back of the boat, be in position there before the chumming starts
- and if you're prone to seasickness, stay up on deck, keep focussed on the horizon, take some boiled sweets or similar to suck (ginger is also reputedly good). Going below deck to lie down is a recipe for disaster!

do stay up all night before
don't waste cash on a b&b
induldge in a hearty, greasy, full Kernow brekka
when feeling seasick ask where they've put the tree this year...

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back