• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Looking for damaged Canon 10x42 IS (1 Viewer)

adamcc

Hi all,

Apologies for the cross-post, but I haven't had much luck in the Wanted forum, so I thought I would give this one a try. Hopefully more people read this one.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=273700

Long story short: I damaged one of the plastic eye cups on my 10x42 WP IS. Canon want CHF 735 (about $825, €600) to replace the whole ocular, which I think is too much for a small piece of plastic. I am looking for a set of damaged or broken Canon 10x42 IS binoculars for a reasonable price, so serve as parts for a repair.

I hope someone can help, and apologies again for the cross-post.

Yours,

Adam

Hi all,

Apologies for the cross-post, but I haven't had much luck in the Wanted forum, so I thought I would give this one a try. Hopefully more people read this one.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=273700

Long story short: I damaged one of the plastic eye cups on my 10x42 WP IS. Canon want CHF 735 (about $825, €600) to replace the whole ocular, which I think is too much for a small piece of plastic. I am looking for a set of damaged or broken Canon 10x42 IS binoculars for a reasonable price, so serve as parts for a repair.

I hope someone can help, and apologies again for the cross-post.

Yours,

Adam

Adam,

This is why I have shunned all but the least expense IS bins, the 10x30 IS. Imagine if the electronics had failed, what would the bill have been if a single plastic eyecup repair costs nearly as much as the binoculars!

Did you ask Canon if they will sell you the plastic eyecup? That would get rid of the labor which is probably most of the cost. Then you could either attempt to change it yourself or send it to Cory Suddarth or another independent repair person, who will charge you much less to install it than Canon.

Brock

Last edited:
Hiya Brock,

According to the official Canon representative company here in Switzerland, Canon won't sell the plastic eyecup on it's own, but only together with the rest of the ocular assembly, which includes the metal mount and the glass elements. Sigh.

If I can get hold of a plastic eyecup I can repair it myself without much hassle - it's held on by 2 screws.

Thanks,

Adam

According to the official Canon representative company here in Switzerland, Canon won't sell the plastic eyecup on it's own, but only together with the rest of the ocular assembly, which includes the metal mount and the glass elements. Sigh.

If I can get hold of a plastic eyecup I can repair it myself without much hassle - it's held on by 2 screws.
So perhaps you could try Canon or a Canon dealer in the UK or USA.
Good luck!

The design of these eyecups I don't know in detail. But if you mention, adamcc, them to be fastened just by two screws, I may assume them not to have an internal thread. So to manufacture a copy seems relatively simple, if function is more important than identical aspect. For such skills, you don't need to search beyond the borders of your home country.

Adam,

This example is just why we quit with Canon. The IS of our customer was 1 week past its guarantee period (one year) and was refused for free repair (one of the stabilizors stopped working).

Jan

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back