• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello from North Central Texas (1 Viewer)

Scrogdog

I am a retired educator who lives just west of Decatur, TX on a 2.5 acre lot with lots of trees. Since retiring two years ago, I have taken up birdwatching as a way to fill time on my days at home, particularly in the winter when it is too cold to be outside if one doesn't have to be. Most of my activity involves sitting at my kitchen table and watching the birds that come to my feeders that I have placed behind my house and occasionally taking pictures of them. Altogether, I have four feeders dedicated to sunflowers and two that contain thistle. This winter, my most abundant visitors have been American Goldfinches which sometimes come in such large numbers at a time that it is impossible to accurately count them, though I wouldn't be surprised if they numbered somewhere around 100 at times. Cardinals are the next most prolific visitors. I have been able to count as many as 26 at one time though I know there are sometimes more than that. They are usually the last birds to leave the feeders in the late afternoon around dusk. I also have a fairly large number of Juncos and House Finches that come each day as well as eleven or twelve other species that come in smaller numbers. I have two or three species that I have observed this winter that I am not able to identify, but have taken pictures and will send later to see if anyone can tell me what they are.

Hi Scrogdog and welcome to Bird Forum from all the Staff and Moderators

It sounds a lovely place you have there

D

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back