• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lochwinnoch RSPB Nature Reserve (1 Viewer)

Peewit

Once a bird lover ... always a bird lover
Hi there

Dave and I will be going up north over the next 2-3 weeks to Glasgow to pick up some things. So, we have decided to make a weekend of it and visit Lochwinnoch RSPB Nature Reserve

http://www.rspb.org.uk/reserves/guide/l/lochwinnoch/sightings.aspx

Anyone else been there at all? So looking forward to seeing what is on offer as neither of us have been there before.

So it will be Tripods, Scopes, Camera and Bins on the ready as ever.

Cannot wait now for another trip into nature wonderland once more.

Regards

Kathy and Dave

Hi Kathy the attached flyer might be of interest.

Hi Stewart

Thank you for your information. I have printed the information for reference.

As we have another couple of birding dates with other Forum members coming up, so will be travelling to visit the area of Lochwinnoch weekdays.

I will add what dates we go once we are ready

Regards
Kathy
x

Thanks Kathy can I suggest you visit Clyde Muirshiel Nat Park, link attached there are not many places one can sit in a tea-room and watch a live video link from a Hen Harrier nest! Its only a short drive from Lochwinnoch and has some good walks and wildlife.

http://www.clydemuirshiel.co.uk/HenHarrier/

Have a browse and its free (not the refreshments mind!)

ATB

Thanks Kathy can I suggest you visit Clyde Muirshiel Nat Park, link attached there are not many places one can sit in a tea-room and watch a live video link from a Hen Harrier nest! Its only a short drive from Lochwinnoch and has some good walks and wildlife.

http://www.clydemuirshiel.co.uk/HenHarrier/

Have a browse and its free (not the refreshments mind!)

ATB
Hi Stewart

Now The Hen Harriers now that really does take my fancy :-O

Will take note of the facility with the Hen Harrier and have a look.

I am glad that we are not too restricted with our time and we can take our time to get the best of the area.

Thank once more :t:

Regards
Kathy
x

I did much of my formative birding there when I lived in Glasgow. Quite a lot on offer in the autumn and winter. Also worth noting another RSPB reserve a bit closer in to Glasgow at Baron's Haugh, which can also turn up some nice waders.

At Lochwinnoch the woodland walk along the railway line marking the eastern boundary of the reserve almost always yields treecreepers. Depending on season, there may be excellent water birds, but distances are such that a telescope would definitely be advantageous.
I agree with the comments re Muirshiel.
Best wishes,
Dave

Enjoy your holiday Kathy its a lovely area we often visit

:t::t::t:

Thank you I will a lot :t:

I did much of my formative birding there when I lived in Glasgow. Quite a lot on offer in the autumn and winter. Also worth noting another RSPB reserve a bit closer in to Glasgow at Baron's Haugh, which can also turn up some nice waders.

Hi CB

I will look into that area too for more information - we may have a few days in hand so we shall see what we an slot in. We must plan ahead to make the most of our time in the area.

At Lochwinnoch the woodland walk along the railway line marking the eastern boundary of the reserve almost always yields treecreepers. Depending on season, there may be excellent water birds, but distances are such that a telescope would definitely be advantageous.
I agree with the comments re Muirshiel.
Best wishes,

Dave

Hi Dave

Treecreepers are something we have not seen for a while now and I would love to see any day.

We will be taking our Tripod and scope with us for sure so that will help with any Id's etc...

Muirshiel is a good idea as it is close in the area too. Cannot wait to go as I have never been there before so it will be a new experience for the OH and myself. :-O:-O

Thanks everyone :t:

Regards
Kathy
x

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back