• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

couple of hundred bucks (1 Viewer)

perterra

I'd like to keep it around $200 (+/- 10%)

Looking for 8X, needs decent eye relief for glasses, doesnt need to be small but not really looking for a big 8X42 porro. Something I can throw behind the seat.

Have a 8X42 Conquest in the stable along with a 6X Yosemite, 8X42 Bushnell Natureview and a 9.5X42 Minox.

Wife will probably use the conquest when she is along, Natureviews live in the camper.

I'm really thinking Blue sky 8X32 but is there anything else that comes close?

Legend ultra HD?
Eagle Denali?
Atlas sky king?

The budget may get bumped up before I buy, if I so I will probably pick up a pair of Terra's but right now I dont want to spend that much ffor something that will likely be living in a car

Definitely put the Blue Sky 8x32 on the list. For reference you may want to check out that 8x32 inexpensive comparative review I did this past October. That would give you a few others in that configuration and price range to consider.

For just a little more the Opticron Discovery could also be considered.

As in the review I would probably opt for the Sightron first, then probably the Zen Ray and then the Opticron Oregon ( now upgraded to the Oregon 4.)

Definitely put the Blue Sky 8x32 on the list. For reference you may want to check out that 8x32 inexpensive comparative review I did this past October. That would give you a few others in that configuration and price range to consider.

For just a little more the Opticron Discovery could also be considered.

As in the review I would probably opt for the Sightron first, then probably the Zen Ray and then the Opticron Oregon ( now upgraded to the Oregon 4.)

I have read that review top to bottom several times, eye relief is the only thing that scares me a little on some of them.

SWFA is supposed to have their show room open next week so I can wander thru and look at a few, really curious how the bluesky compares to the legend ultra. I really dont think I want a compact, but just a smaller full size.

I will recommend the Nikon Prostaff 7, 8x42. They are very good optically, and handle well. They have a wider view than the lower Monarchs, and light in weight, 23 oz.

Look at some reviews. They can often be found for less than your mentioned
price. Be sure to try one out at a larger sporting goods store.

While checking specs. Several net sellers have these for only $135. That places them on the bargain page, as I feel they measure up well.

Jerry

Bushnell Legend Ultra HD 8x36 a very nice binocular and can be found for your price range on ebay in American sellers listings.

The sweet spot is very sweet indeed, nice bright sharp true to colours view, eye relief is real good, and all round, a nice little bit of glass for a very low price.

The Sightron 8x32 may be the perfect "car/truck bin". Small and light enough to toss behind the seat, rugged, great optics and cheap enough that you won't shed a tear if you leave it on the roof and drive away.

There are obviously many other solid bins for $200 (like the Bushnell Legend) but some of them aren't as rugged. The Zeiss Terra is great for this if you are willing to spend the extra 100 bucks.

I will recommend the Nikon Prostaff 7, 8x42 ... They have a wider view than the lower Monarchs

These are certainly good value and can be found 'on promo' virtually everywhere.

Worth checking the specs yourself as the FOV for the Prostaff 7 8x42 is 110m at a grand, which is exactly the same as the Monarch 8x42s other than the recent wider viewed MN7.

The ubiquitous Vanguard Endeavor ED 8x42 would come in under budget as an ex-demo or warehouse deal and you'll get eye-piece covers that fit.

Last edited:
It was the best of bins it was the worst of bins...

There are always opinions as to the best in a particular price range. That's good, but are there any bins one should avoid in the price range noted?

There are always opinions as to the best in a particular price range. That's good, but are there any bins one should avoid in the price range noted?

Well, I had the Monarch 5 in 8x42 and sold it, thought it very disappointing, extremely narrow FOV and although very bright, the colors seemed insipid. I thought my much cheaper Nikon Travelite was just as good if not a bit better.

For many, the "throw behind the seat" connects to smaller objectives, around 25mm.
Extra ruggedness would be good as well. I like using the 8x25 Nikon SportStars,
but there is a 'shell'. The 8x25 Travelite or the 8x25 Prostaff are more overbuilt.
That Sightron 8x32 looks pretty small too, though. A lot like the Vortex Diamondback.

Well, I had the Monarch 5 in 8x42 and sold it ... extremely narrow FOV ...

Nothing like reading the specs before buying, eh Ben ?

Considering you managed to sell it almost immediately at about break even that Monarch did pretty well for you, wouldn't you say ? ;) That's got to be better than 'not selling' some no-name brand !

I'm really thinking Blue sky 8X32 but is there anything else that comes close?

I'm combing that territory myself...another hobby needs some money, too.
I'm pondering the Carson VP 8x32 roof for a cost-effective 'stubby'.
Carson has been playing a very aggressive "we try harder" game lately in that range.

Nothing like reading the specs before buying, eh Ben ?

Considering you managed to sell it almost immediately at about break even that Monarch did pretty well for you, wouldn't you say ? ;) That's got to be better than 'not selling' some no-name brand !

Absolutely, but have to admit, I knew the FOV but the rest of the spec sounded good for the price, new ED glass, dielectric coatings etc, some really like this bin but it just did not cut it for me. As you say, not too bad as I sold it straight off and didn't lose too much. That brought home the truth of "try before you buy" to me. Different if you are buying one as a collectable, but if you are buying a modern glass for general use, it's a good rule to stick with.

I think I want to compare the Blue sky and the Legend ultra 8X42 right now. A little apples and oranges but B&H is pushing the the legend out the door at under $200. I suspect the BS will have better build quality and that may trump the ED glass

Last edited:
Perterra,

Just to help a bit in your research, I did a direct comparison between the Legend Ultra HD 8x42 and the Sightron BS SII 8x32. The comparison comments are in the Blue Sky review thread. I had the links all set up but then my computer started locking up. I will try to find them again and edit this post. In addition, another forum member also compared the Blue Sky with the Legend Ultra 8x36. I will see if I can find that post as well.

http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=2273236&postcount=66

http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=2287575&postcount=95

Last edited:
Btw having owned both the Sightron and Legend HD both of the links above are spot on. The Legend has a wider FOV and is brighter and very nice on axis but the sweet spot is tiny and off axis aberrations are much worse. Tons of pincushion and blurring. The control of chromatic aberration is also not as good as you'd expect with the ED glass, certainly not as good as the Zen ED series or Viper HD for example. The Sightron doesn't have ED glass but is still pretty good at controlling CA. The wide sweet spot and more gradual degradation off axis gives the impression of a "cleaner" view.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back