• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What binoculars to choose in the cheap range? (1 Viewer)

I want to buy a pair of used binoculars and I have several options. My idea is to get a 10 x 42 roof prism and I need help to rank them:

1) Simmons Wilderness
2) Redfield
3) Barska Atlantic

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jaime

I have not had any good Simmons pairs, I still have one. I have some useable Bushnell, they are hit and miss. The Barskas would have some promise. But I would not order them, I would have to see the actual pair in hand.

Why not buy a pair of Nikon Action porro prisms? These cheap roof prisms probably won't make you happy. You could get those Actions for 50-100 $ US. Recommend 8x not 10x for birding.

Good luck.

Under $100 I would probably with full size roofs in mind I would opt for the Bushnell H20 models. The Barska Atlantic would probably be my pick out of the group you mentioned but I would still probably opt for the Bushnells in comparison. If you can just throw a little more cash at the issue...$125-$150 then I would really opt for the Nikon Sporters despite their slightly smaller objective size.

If you can get past the slightly bulkier size of the Action porros then I would agree with Tero. Optically they are very good for the price....maybe even the Bushnell Legend porros. I thought I saw one of the full sized models price right at $100.

Last edited:
Hi Frank.

Your comments are also a great help for me. I will look the models you and Tero mentioned. Tero said 8x is better than 10x. How much noticeable is the size difference on a small bird close focus as a sandpiper?

Best regards

Jaime

Best Cheap Binocular!

Jaime Garcia said:
I want to buy a pair of used binoculars and I have several options. My idea is to get a 10 x 42 roof prism and I need help to rank them:

1) Simmons Wilderness
2) Redfield
3) Barska Atlantic

Jaime

Get a Nikon Sporter 8x32 Roof Prism. You can pick them up for about $90.00. Blow away anything else you are looking at.

Dennis

I just got some Nikon Sporter 8x36 and at £100 here in the UK I think they are great value. If you can get them in the US for less than $100 then they are a steel.

8x vs 10x: I would take either if I got it for $100. Depends on how steady your hand is.

Dennis, actually it is 8x36, the Sporter. Yes, definitely. They go as low as 99 dollars where I shop. Nikon Buckmaster 8x36 is also the same thing as Sporter. In camoflage look, outside. BUT NOT THE 8x21 Buckmaster, it is a different model.

I REALLY don't work for Nikon, I only own 3 pair of theirs so far. All my good ones. My other ones are just toys.

Tero said:
8x vs 10x: I would take either if I got it for $100. Depends on how steady your hand is.

Dennis, actually it is 8x36, the Sporter. Yes, definitely. They go as low as 99 dollars where I shop. Nikon Buckmaster 8x36 is also the same thing as Sporter. In camoflage look, outside. BUT NOT THE 8x21 Buckmaster, it is a different model.

I REALLY don't work for Nikon, I only own 3 pair of theirs so far. All my good ones. My other ones are just toys.

I didn't know that the 8x36 Buckmasters were the same as the Sporters. I've been wanting to try the Sporters and they carry the Buckmasters at a local sporting goods store. Thanks for the info, Tero.

I'd go for the Bushnell Natureview roof prisms - I've seen them advertised on the web at under $150. I bought mine in a shop for £170 and am very happy with them, even at that price.

adw73uk said:
I'd go for the Bushnell Natureview roof prisms - I've seen them advertised on the web at under $150. I bought mine in a shop for £170 and am very happy with them, even at that price.
I've got a set of 10 x 42 Naaturview roofs, and can't complain about them.

Tero said:

Actually the Buckmasters have better coatings than the Sporters. Yes, they are both 8x36mm. Fantastic binoculars and the best buy in the under $300.00 price range.

Dennis

I have always found that 8x offers more advantages, personally when compared to 10x under the conditions that I bird. Waterfowl and hawk birding would probably be the exceptions though I still tend to use 8x in both situations. I find I can hold an 8x bin steadier than a 10x.

Nikon Buckmasters for sale on Astromart for $99.95 Shipped!

Jaime Garcia said:

1) Simmons Wilderness
2) Redfield
3) Barska Atlantic

Jaime

Just thought I would let you know there is a pair of Nikon Buckmasters 8x36 LNIB shipped for $99.95 on Astromart. Great deal!

Dennis

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back