• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Immature Bald Eagle? Golden Eagle? Other?! (1 Viewer)

Yankee

Hey All,
Hoping to find some help identifying this magnificant bird. I was able to snap a few photos, but it was tough to do against a grey/white sky on short notice... This bird soared above my head on a lonely mountain peak in northern New York (about 5000 feet above sea level) just as I reached the summit. I have seen mature Bald Eagles less than 10 miles from where the photo was taken, only they were hunting fish. This one appeared to be hunting the rocky mountain peaks. Could it be an immature Bald Eagle, or possibly a Golden Eagle? Or just a big vulture??? This is the type of thing that could get me hooked on birds...
Thanks much,

Attachments

• EagleoverAmpersand (2).jpg
    EagleoverAmpersand (2).jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 361
  • EagleoverAmpersand2 (2).jpg
    EagleoverAmpersand2 (2).jpg
    268.6 KB · Views: 298
  • EagleoverAmpersand3 (2).jpg
    EagleoverAmpersand3 (2).jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 264
  • EagleoverAmpersand4 (2).jpg
    EagleoverAmpersand4 (2).jpg
    260.1 KB · Views: 277
I'd say with that beak it would probably be a Bald Eagle. I tried pulling more out of the pics but couldn't get much. I think 1st or 2nd year would probably be a good guess.

Hi Yankee,

Welcome to bird forum! Yes, that is definitely the kind of experience that can get one hooked on birds! :D Such an experience is very thrilling and rewarding and leaves you wanting more....!

I'm not an expert at differentiating immature eagles, so that I'll have to leave to the experts!

Thanks to all of you for your help. Quite an amazing thing to witness. My only regret is that I couldn't get more detailed photos...

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back