• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How do you mount insects? (1 Viewer)

I probably shouldn't have used the word "amateur" as it didn't get across the context I meant it in. Having been an amateur naturalist myself even longer than being a birder I'm aware of the value of the observations of non-professionals.
I'm suggesting the OP join a local or even online group and learn a lot more before starting up a potentially meaningless collection of dried bugs. There isn't a lot to go on in the original post so I don't want to presume too much but Birdforum isn't the first place I'd look for advice on preparing insect specimens for preservation.

I'm also still trying to figure out how "my father is a hunter" has anything to do with this (much less Pokémon???).

Allen - the US also has a Vancouver in the state of Washington, not just Canada, although it is much, much smaller

ptickner - thanks. I visited the Canadian Vancouver in July and wondered if the OP was referring to Point Robert, which is part of the Greater Vancouver birding area, according to a website that I saw. If I ever make it to the state of Washington and see a sign for Vancouver, I'll now be less confused!

Allen

I have heard of people mounting butterflies under glass, but I was thinking about collecting insects and having those mounted, except I don't knwo how to do it.

Does anyone know how to mount specimens?

Hi DeaneRenata
Not sure if this would be the way you want to go, but live insects are vastly more interesting.
You can raise Monarch butterflies from caterpillar to adult between your window and the screen, just be sure to keep the milkweed fresh till the caterpillar pupates.
It is just a wonder watching the pupa evolve from green to brown, before the adult emerges.
Praying Mantis are also good subjects, but you have to feed them a steady flow of grasshoppers to keep them well.

If you do go for a mounted collection, documentation is key. Each specimen should have its date and place of capture included. Remember that you need stainless or lacquered pins to mount your specimens, regular needles corrode and make a mess.
A decent jewelers hand lens is a must if you expect to identify beetles and such, details of the tarsi and such are critical for correct identification.

Good luck on your pursuit.

Rumsfeldian? like it! Amateur does not equate with lack of knowledge by any means. But is it ok for the OP to just kill stuff and see if an interest develops?
Listen I kill hundreds of insects every day with my car, like we all do (perhaps) but surely there are better ways of getting in to entomology than just killing stuff and looking at it?

Short answer to the last question: No.

Longer answer: in my experience as a professional entomologist who came to that profession through years of being an 'amateur insect killer' (I colelcted and killed my fist insect with the intention of mounting it age six - fortunately my parents were way more supportive than some people here would have been), collecting is an excellent way of getting into entomology. In fact it is in my opinion and experience THE best way to develop an interest in and passion for entomology. I know this is probably highly politically incorrect to say, but if you want to become really good at entomology there is no way around collecting, killing and mounting insects. There is no substitute for the experience and knowledge you aquire through carefully handling hundreds or thousands of specimens.

You are absolutely correct that amateurs do not equate with lack of knowledge. But I can't think of a single really good amateur entomologist I know who doesn't collect - or did so earlier (often intensively). A considerable amount of the research I (and many other entomologists) do concerning discovering and describing insect diversity would be impossible without the help of such amateurs.

And I can assure you that most (if not all) of these excellent amateurs started out "just killing stuff and seeing if an interest developed". Although, once you reached the point where you start asking for advice, the interest is already there.
I have been a birder for as long as I have collected insect, and although the two activities are largely compatible, they are also very, very different.

I hope the OP finds the information needed on YouTube. Otherwise, feel free to send me a PM.

Thomas

Short answer to the last question: No.

Longer answer: in my experience as a professional entomologist who came to that profession through years of being an 'amateur insect killer' (I colelcted and killed my fist insect with the intention of mounting it age six - fortunately my parents were way more supportive than some people here would have been), collecting is an excellent way of getting into entomology. In fact it is in my opinion and experience THE best way to develop an interest in and passion for entomology. I know this is probably highly politically incorrect to say, but if you want to become really good at entomology there is no way around collecting, killing and mounting insects. There is no substitute for the experience and knowledge you aquire through carefully handling hundreds or thousands of specimens.

You are absolutely correct that amateurs do not equate with lack of knowledge. But I can't think of a single really good amateur entomologist I know who doesn't collect - or did so earlier (often intensively). A considerable amount of the research I (and many other entomologists) do concerning discovering and describing insect diversity would be impossible without the help of such amateurs.

And I can assure you that most (if not all) of these excellent amateurs started out "just killing stuff and seeing if an interest developed". Although, once you reached the point where you start asking for advice, the interest is already there.
I have been a birder for as long as I have collected insect, and although the two activities are largely compatible, they are also very, very different.

I hope the OP finds the information needed on YouTube. Otherwise, feel free to send me a PM.

Thomas

Thanks for your explanation Thomas, from a non entomologist. I am sure you, and your peers do much valuable work regarding biodiversity etc, and I am all for encouraging any interest in wildlife. Out of interest how important is "the collection" versus forwarding knowledge etc. Is there a competitive side to have the biggest and best collection as with twitchers on the birding scene?
As you say very different hobbies in some respects, I for one will stick to birding.

Thanks for your explanation Thomas, from a non entomologist. I am sure you, and your peers do much valuable work regarding biodiversity etc, and I am all for encouraging any interest in wildlife. Out of interest how important is "the collection" versus forwarding knowledge etc. Is there a competitive side to have the biggest and best collection as with twitchers on the birding scene?
As you say very different hobbies in some respects, I for one will stick to birding.

Youthful insect collections are not easily compared and are not competitive, as the list of possible species is vastly too large for anyone other than an institution to have more than a small fraction of the total available. Individual collections may have prize specimens, but there is no 'listing' per se. Rather, the main joy is in the collecting and identification. The specimens become the focal point of discussions with helpful professionals or other kindred spirits, which eventually may evolve into a lifelong hobby or a career.

Youthful insect collections are not easily compared and are not competitive, as the list of possible species is vastly too large for anyone other than an institution to have more than a small fraction of the total available. Individual collections may have prize specimens, but there is no 'listing' per se. Rather, the main joy is in the collecting and identification. The specimens become the focal point of discussions with helpful professionals or other kindred spirits, which eventually may evolve into a lifelong hobby or a career.

Thanks for your insight.

I have heard of people mounting butterflies under glass, but I was thinking about collecting insects and having those mounted, except I don't knwo how to do it.
Does anyone know how to mount specimens?

The utube video gives you an insight but further discussion on a dedicated forum should help increase your knowledge.
As long as you are responsible with what you do, enjoy.
If you havent already then http://www.angleps.com/index.php should be able to provide you with most of what you need.
Also another alternative hobby is here
http://www.embercombe.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=40&Itemid=267 .

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back