• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

immature bald or golden eagle? (1 Viewer)

waka waka

Abuser
Have seen this bird twice, can never get close so that's why pictures are bad. Seen at lake in northern california approx. 1100 ft elev. Seen a weak ago.

Attachments

• Picture 015.jpg
    Picture 015.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 187
  • Picture 014.jpg
    Picture 014.jpg
    223.6 KB · Views: 212
  • Picture 013.jpg
    Picture 013.jpg
    230.3 KB · Views: 177
It looks like an immature Bald Eagle due to the white mottling, possibly third year (hard to tell with the photo) due to the appearance of a dark eyestrip and the throat is lighter than a first or second year might be.

Agree with immature Bald Eagle. I don't believe (could be wrong) that Golden Eagles ever show that much (any?) white on the back.

I'll vote for immature bald as well. The only other bird with that much white mottling would be a red-tail,. The long neck in the middle picture also makes me think bald.

Not that I see many of them perched. If you had an in-flight picture...

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back