• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

best mid-size binocular (1 Viewer)

AlexZin

I am interested to buy a pare of binoculars for wildlife/bird watching, trips, hiking, etc. I like a qaulity binocular, relatively small size and light. I thought 8x32 will fit me fine. My price range is up to $ 350. Could anyone recommend the best set in this range !

I read good reviews on Celestron Noble 8x12 and Leupold Katmai 8x32. Any particular comments on these models. Are they good ? Would you recommend it and which one should I choose then?

Your input is very much appreciated.

thanks and regards

Alex

In that price range. The Nikon Monarch 8x42 is the best I have experienced. I prefer them over the Katmai's. Really check the quality on them though. It can vary.

Dennis

Alex,

In Europe the best within that price range are; the Nikon 8X36 Monarch, Minox 8X32 BL, Opticron 8X32 Traveller (very small) and the Helios 8X32 AM-6. If I had to chose I would go for the Minox - very classy, especially the Mk2 which I am waiting to have a look at.

Paul

Dear Paul,

Thanks fro detail input. What is the difference between Minox BL line and BD line ? I can not find any reference on MK2 ?

Thanks

Alex

Dear Paul,

Thanks for detail input. What is the difference between Minox BL line and BD line ? I can not find any reference on MK2 ?

Thanks

Alex

Alex,

The Mk2's have a metal focussing wheel, I do't think that there are any other differences between them and the Mk1's, it just makes them look the business - if you like that sort of thing!!

Tero answered the bit about the difference between the BL's and BD's.

Paul

I am interested to buy a pare of binoculars for wildlife/bird watching, trips, hiking, etc. I like a qaulity binocular, relatively small size and light. I thought 8x32 will fit me fine. My price range is up to $ 350. Could anyone recommend the best set in this range !

I read good reviews on Celestron Noble 8x12 and Leupold Katmai 8x32. Any particular comments on these models. Are they good ? Would you recommend it and which one should I choose then?

Your input is very much appreciated.

thanks and regards

Alex

Hello Alex!

As you are from the Netherlands, you will have little difficulties to understand German.
For this reason, an independent test that has been carried out in 2006 could be interesting for you.
You may download it from here:

http://www.leica-camera.de/service/..._nature_observation/ultravid_25_br/index.html

Go for Stiftung Warentest 9/2006.
It should give you some interesting information.

Cheers, Thomas

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back